Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Vaniya - WIP

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Holy moly that's a lot of trees but the labor looks like it was worth it as this looks really nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

You have a great thread going, interesting to see the different experiments on your map. While the first WIPs with textures were nice experiments, I like the hand drawn style you're working on now much better. The mountain ranges really flow through the landscape, and the forests do too.

I do have a nitpick: you might want to smoothen (is that a proper English word? :/) the border between mountains and forests a bit, especially where the forests are south of the mountains. The stark black of the mountains contrasts quite a bit with the forests, and it doesn't look as flowing and natural as other parts of the both the forests and mountains.

Keep up the good work, it's great to see where you're going with this

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

This is beginning to look very nice. I especially like the wall overseeing the northern wildlands.

A small question: what letter does the elongated character with the reverse-facing serifs represent? It looks like it might be an archaic lower-case "s" (the form that looks like an "f") or possibly a lower-case "f" without a crossbar.

Assuming it's an "s", is there a particular reason you're using a font with an archaic glyph like this?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Blog Entries

Yes, it is an "s" that looks like an "f". The font is based on Shakespeare's script. The S is a little too stylised I guess but it is annoying because apart from that I love the font.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Yes, it is an "s" that looks like an "f". The font is based on Shakespeare's script. The S is a little too stylised I guess but it is annoying because apart from that I love the font.
    Alright then. I was just a little confused because at first I was reading it as an "l" (because it looks kind of like an elongated italic "l" as well) and then I realized that was wrong. Unfortunately, I have no immediate suggestions with any alternative fonts with similar styles that don't have this quirk.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Blog Entries

Another small update. Sorry if I'm posting too regularly with not enough progress between them, but it's like some kind of psychological milestone - it's slow going but when I make a new post it's like I've passed another step on the way.

Anyway, for this update I've widened the map a little, moving the border away from the two places it was touching the southern lands, which had always been annoying to me, this makes it feel a little less cluttered I think. I've got most of the trees in now - I'm sure I'll add some more in places, especially the central area once I've gotten all the hills sorted. I've also added a layer of temporary hills so I can sort positioning of them out - these will be more varied once I get down to it.
    Some of the text that is in will be even more hidden by the backgrounds but I plan on changing this next when I add a lot more places to the map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya8.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	12403

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Another small update. Sorry if I'm posting too regularly with not enough progress between them, but it's like some kind of psychological milestone - it's slow going but when I make a new post it's like I've passed another step on the way.
    I know the feeling. Been there, done that. I don't think anyone minds.

Love the progress so far. It's turning into a beautiful map. It has a great fantasy feel to it.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Now this is looking very excellentish!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

We are always encouraging people to post early and often - so no problems.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Ok, a little more progress made so time for an update. I've added quite a few more rivers and spent some time fixing some of the ones that were already in. I still have a few more to add but I've almost done with them now I think. Finally.

I haven't really added more trees in yet, but I deleted and moved some due to new rivers. Again, I'm quite near the end as far as trees are concerned but there are some more clumps to add in a few places. Nothing major.

The hills are still only temporary. I'll probably try and tart them up when all the labels are in.

I've added quite a few new labels. Like I said in the last post, I've made no real effort to make the labels more legible other than basic positioning. Where they become difficult to read due to scenery behind them I will edit them at the end - will probably be one of the last things I do. The only real consent I've made to legibility at the moment are the two white labels over the mountains. When it's more complete I'll toy with changing them to the normal font colour and remove background so they are visible. I've left the two labels in the north "The Ruhks" and the companion label on a different font as I was testing some changes in case I decided that the "s" on the Shakespeare font was too much of a hindrance. I've kind of fudged a workaround though - for anyone interested check the label "Vosstern" in the NE quadrant.

I also fudged up a compass rose. It's not amazing but I kinda like it. Without a graphics tablet I have little chance of drawing anything better so it will probably stay will little or no change.

Umm.. think that's about it. I'm hoping to get it all finished or as near as dammit by the weekend so I can finally get back down to doing some writing. Phew.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya9.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	12515

2nd Edit: Ok, re-uploaded the image with the fixed trees. Ignore what I said before if anyone saw it.
    Last edited by Ramah; 04-16-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast