Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Vaniya - WIP

Ramah...when are you going to post this on the finished maps section? (hint, hint).

Beg, borrow or buy or steal a tablet. It would make your life a hundred times easier and you deserve one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Beg, borrow or buy or steal a tablet. It would make your life a hundred times easier and you deserve one.
    Hehe. I'd absolutely love to but we've just bought a new TV when the old one went the way of the Dodo and the missus would kill me. I don't know anyone else who has one either.
    Plus, I'm very torn on the issue as for one, I've nearly done with the map and fear I wouldn't get much more use out of it... or two, I WOULD get more use out of it as I have a growing desire to make regional maps of one or two of the countries in Vaniya (and maybe a city map too, although that prospect scares me for some reason) that are important to my story but this would stop me writing for even longer - something that the map was supposed to help with, not hinder. Hehe.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    (and maybe a city map too, although that prospect scares me for some reason) that are important to my story but this would stop me writing for even longer - something that the map was supposed to help with, not hinder. Hehe.
    Don't do it. You won't get any writing done. Look at me

I must admit the city maps helped me write the story... but now I am mapping cities not even named once in my writings. Argh...
    Must resist...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Ok, time for another quick update although to outward appearances I guess it's not much of one.

Work continues on the hills. I'd say I'm maybe 2/3's of the way through although they are in various states of completion. About half of what I have done still have no shading - as in alongside the mountain range in Rydony. Others have been shaded but twice I've changed how I'm doing it. If you check out the hills in Amburria for instance, the shading between the hills is kind of rough, which I figured gave it a nice pencil type effect. But then I wondered if it was too much so I softened it up somewhat, like in Iosia, which has a more smudged effect I guess. I'm still not sure which I prefer.

Anyway, still lots of hills to do in the middle of the map but I should be able to get quite a session on it tomorrow so here's hoping I sort most of it out.

Other than that the only real change from last time is the coastline ripples which have been adjusted as per Bohunk's suggestion. I think they look a lot better now that they go curvier when further out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya14.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	13101
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

This is a very pretty map. Great work and thanks!

Blog Entries

Ok, so had a decent session on the map today. I've managed to replace all the hilly areas I had previously marked on the map. I haven't done all the shading yet, I'd say I'm about 2/3's of the way through but one more decent session will see that done.
    I'd say that I still need to add some hills in a few places and maybe adjust a few I'm not happy with but I'll include that in the final touches section.

Hopefully I'll be able to post an image with the hills fully completed (apart from those finishing touches) tomorrow and that will leave me very close to completion. I'm contemplating leaving off any major roads on this map and add them if and when I make some zoomed in regional maps.

So that will leave me needing to add some more labels, (not too many as I'd sooner come back to it at a later date and add places when some of the countries are fleshed out more with backstory etc.) and then the finishing touches.

I can see the finish line.

Blog Entries

Hills are now done. Well... I'm sure I'll end up adding some more in a few places where I'm not totally happy but for now I'm moving on to other things.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya15.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	13167

Next up, finishing labels. I'll probably fix the visibility of them too now that I'm nearing the end.

After that I just need to touch up a few bits and bobs and it's done.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This map is simply beautiful.

How many of us procrastinating writers are there around here, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    How many of us procrastinating writers are there around here, anyway?
    Too many. I suspect 1 in 3 fantasy readers is also writing a novel
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Too many. I suspect 1 in 3 fantasy readers is also writing a novel
    Or at least attempting to.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast