Thread: Vaniya - WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Ok, had a chance to work on it a little more. I'm not to fussed about the colours etc. in this new version, I think I'll lighten the look up somewhat, but I think I am gonna go with the mountains as I have them in it. I can raise them up a lot more if need be but I kind of like how they look more like an artistic impression of mountains, rather than actual "glossy-glowy" bevelled thingamajigs. And so I'll probably also lose the very slight land height map as I think it muddies the look up somewhat and maybe try putting a nice paper effect under it to go with the arty mountains.

Ok so the next major stumbling block I'd say is rivers. The ones I've put in so far aren't satisfactory and at the very least need toning right down so they don't stick out so much. I'd very much like to see that tutorial you are writing on creating rivers Ravells.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya2.jpg 
Views:	625 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	11732

I like your mountains. The rivers i think don't quite work because the are too large for the scale of map and secondly your largest river comes out of (what i assume from the brown color) an arid area while your lush green areas have fewer rivers.

Korba

Agreed the rivers are too wide.

Another thing I'd like to add: Get rid of the grain-effect. I think it makes the whole map less attractive as it could be. I used that effect myself some time ago but ultimately decided against ever using it again, because it just looks... well, not very good honestly.

Still, the map itself looks really nice (except for the grain-effect ). So keep up the good work and I'll eagerly await some more pictures!

Blog Entries

Yep, the rivers are the next thing I'm gonna spend some time on, at the moment they're pretty terrible.

Korba: As for the colours of the map, they are really just test colours. In this part of the continent there isn't really gonna be that much variation in the land so I've just added some more arid areas to test how it works.

Madletter: By "grain effect" I assume you mean the Film Grain filter? I actually quite like it although I admit it can certainly be done better. What I personaly don't like is the slight height map I added as this just seems to make it look too busy. I'll try playing around with some of the filters other than Film Grain but I think I do want something to make it less clean and shiny.