Thread: The City of Veitheim

Map The City of Veitheim

This is a city map that was commissioned from me. The customer provided me with a description of the city and a request to have it in an isometric perspective. This is what I did with it.

I first sketched the city in pencil, so I could draw complete buildings, without needing to leave space should others overlap later on (as they always do).
    When I was happy with the pencil-sketch, I inked all the outlines in East-Indian ink. I always use a Waterman fountain pen with a small bin for this.
    Then I proceeded to shade the roofs, followed by the walls and the strike shadows. Then I would add in details such as windows and doors, little bits and bobs of architecture, a tree here and there.
    The last phase was drawing in the surrounding lands, which really grounds the city in reality. It only serves to guide the eye to the city, but works better than a blank surrounding in my opinion.

Cheers,

Chaim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Veitheim JPEG.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	128515

Welcome to the Guild. What a fantastic first post! Excellent map.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Beautiful map! Welcome to the guild!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

This is a great map. I really like the way the legend is integrated into the river at the bottom, that's a really clever idea.

Drawing in pencil first and drawing complete buildings is also the approach I use when drawing isometric, even if you're going to cover over half the building with other buildings and features it just makes it so much easier to get the angles and perspective looking right.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Great map! I love the walls and towers and the names of the different locations!

Great way to break into the guild, welcome.

It's a bit rough for my tastes, as some of markers blend in so well that you wouldn't know they were there unless you looked, but overall this is seriously solid. Great work, Chaim.

IR

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Nice work ! It looks like an old engraving !

Excellent map! Very nice authentic look.
    And welcome!

This is excellent! It looks like it came straight out of history. You executed the style brilliantly! The only thing I have trouble with is seeing the numbers on the map, perhaps making the numbers a color would help with this? It certainly seems like your style is to go for black and white however, and if that is the stylistic choice then awesome! It is as good as you could possibly make it! I especially like the palace!

A wonderful map!