Thread: February 2021 Challenge: Vanaris

Map February 2021 Challenge: Vanaris

Greetings everyone! It has been a while since I've been posting maps. However I have been re working my world map for my DnD/Savage worlds campaign, and realized that it would perfectly fit this month's challenge. This is a rework of my old map of Ynarr (I opted the change the name of the continent), working in the northern half of the continent. I have been experimenting with coloring as well as the use of standardized symbols for towns and villages. This is by no means perfection. It could use a few improvements. However I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

Everything started as BW hand drawn maps. This one was made up of 4 different 8.5x11 sheets. These were scanned in and combined to create the BW line are. I used an interesting technique to create the text curves, using paths in GIMP. Background texture was added, and then the colors were slowly added in. The challenge here was transitioning between the different base colors for the different biomes. Once that was complete, different shades were layered on. The mountains took some time, but I like my general coloring technique for them. Lastly the icons and details were colored. All in all this was very intensive and took about a solid 1-2 weeks of constant work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vanaris 2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	7.36 MB 
ID:	128555

It is a very large map, and I was unable to attach the higher quality PNG, but you can view that here!
    Last edited by greendino; 02-23-2021 at 07:51 PM.
    Dungeon master, World Builder, and Mapmaker.
    Taking Commissions
    View my Portfolio
    Contact me at greendinomaps@gmail.com

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

Nice map. Maybe add a very slight antialiasing to the linework. It stands a little too crisp against the background color - in my opinion.

And maybe next time just show a little bit of your process. As you can see in some of the other threads it is really interesting to see the transformation of the first sketch to the final piece of art

Second on Eric's tips.

Your style is charming. I'm fond of the shape of the landmass, and everything is well placed. A compass rose could spiff it up a notch for the next time around. Great work!

IR

Nice map. Maybe add a very slight antialiasing to the linework. It stands a little too crisp against the background color - in my opinion.

And maybe next time just show a little bit of your process. As you can see in some of the other threads it is really interesting to see the transformation of the first sketch to the final piece of art
    Honestly I was updating the map for my personal use, and just realized that it fit this months challenge after getting it to this level! How would I do some antialiaising? I scan them in and use GIMP.

@adfor a compass rose is a great idea! I will probably start picking at making one in future.
    Taking Commissions
    View my Portfolio

So, I fiddled with the filter settings and found what you mean.

Oh.

My.

God.

That is a game changer.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vanaris AA.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	6.75 MB 
ID:	128565

I will go back and apply it to my custom icons as well, but even just a single pass through a filter has made quite the difference. Many thanks!
    Taking Commissions
    View my Portfolio

Oh, this is nice. A very fine challenge.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh