Thread: Crypt of the Mad Monk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks great so far.

I guess from the scale that you saw that it needs 3' hexes as the final grid.

I love the concept of a mad monk. Very gothic.

Wait.. Hexes! I guess I really need to learn how to read.
    Who uses hexes for indoor mapping? If the hexes don't overlay very well I might have to scrap this as an entry.

Anyway, here is my work for today. I need to add some serious cobwebs and stuff even more crap in there.. I want it to feel a bit claustraphobic.

Thanks for the comments so far, I'm open to any comments on the work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crypt4.png 
Views:	3563 
Size:	467.9 KB 
ID:	11761  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I wouldn't worry too much about how they match up - hexes never overlay well onto square maps. At least with one hex=3' you'll avoid corridors with no whole hexes in them.

I love the hand drawn elements and the higglety pigglety corpses. The statues on the walls are fabulous too. Great work.

I like it. I'm curious to see how\if the hex conversion turns out.

My only critical gut reaction is that the Circled N in the main room feels very modern.

Sigurd

The circled N is just my logo, I'll remove that when I start work on that room.

Post Its not for D&D

Technically the ICE crypt map contest is for their own game system which is not D&D of d20 based game system. Have you heard of Rolemaster? They have that game plus a new one called HARP (High Adventure RolePlaying) anyway, its almost as old as D&D, just different - and not as big a player in the industry.

They don't use the D&D square grid, they use multiple facings in combat and require the more effective (to combat and movement) hex grid.

Me I don't worry about the grid until I'm completed with the map, then place one trying not to place too much under walls, but I don't worry about it too much, I just comply with this restriction. Its for their game after all.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks fantastic, a pleasing blend of hand drawn and stylized realism. I especially like the lighting in that top room.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looks fantastic Devinnight. Great use of perspective and depth, with the multilayer effect and the artwork is spectacular. Tried to rep you but I need to spread a bit.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld