Thread: Hello... Again!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Feralspirit View Post
    Those mountains are beautiful, spectacular even, but me eyes were drawn to the rivers. They seem slightly large for your scale. I also noticed what may be a river violation near Hammerfist Holds (were there River Police when you were here before?).
    Ha ha ha... I don't think the river police had established themselves (at least I was never handed an infraction) when I left. Though I could have used the constructive criticism. Rivers are a weak spot for me... I suppose I should do some Google/Wikipedia research.
    Joshua
    Graphic Designer
    & Amateur Photoshop Cartographer

Post Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_101 View Post
    Ha ha ha... I don't think the river police had established themselves (at least I was never handed an infraction) when I left. Though I could have used the constructive criticism. Rivers are a weak spot for me... I suppose I should do some Google/Wikipedia research.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not River Police, and so do not speak with authority (you'll notice a little badge in Steel General's awards). I will, however, briefly elaborate on my previous comment (because I do not believe Google/Wikipedia research will offer the same details/crit).

By 'large rivers' I mean wide, really. Without exact measurement against your scale but a quick glance, I am guessing your rivers are all (few exceptions) more than 5 miles wide, and less than 200 miles long (again, few exceptions). While this is not impossible (I don't think), given the number of these rivers on your map it does suggest huge amounts of precipitation (rainfall that I don't believe has a 'real world' equal). Still, many cartographers (more historically than modern) have exaggerated map's features, so this crit is small compared to the second.

Near Hammerfist Holds you have one river that splits into two distinct rivers which then take different routes to the sea. Imagine that rivers are a two dimensional representaion of a tree, springs and headwaters being the tips of twigs and branches. Moving downwater, the twigs and branches come together into larger branches, and eventually join to make the trunk. The 'trunk' of the tree will not split into two trunks going into the ground. At the ground you might see the roots of the tree exposed, and river deltas are similar. (Hope my metaphor doesn't make the subject more confusing, PM me or an authorized River Police if it has.) The other incidents of splitting rivers on your map happen close enough to the sea that river delta is a reasonable explanation. The Hammerfist split requires a 'magical', or otherwise unnatural explanation.

Again, I am not River Police, so take these comments for what they are, one apprentice trying to helpful.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire