Thread: Fantasy world map climate regions

Wip Fantasy world map climate regions

Hello, I'm relatively new to cartography, but I've been working on a fantasy world for some time now and I want to have reasonably realistic geography for it. So I've mapped out my climates for my world on a rough map. It's quite incomplete, and I have more detailed maps where I'm figuring out things like major mountain ranges and rivers for each continent, but I want to make sure my climate estimations aren't glaringly awful before moving forward with everything else. Does anyone here have any critiques they might be able to give on my map and/or the climates within them? This map isn't intended to be particularly pretty at the moment; I want to get my geography down pat before I make more aesthetically pleasing or detailed maps. But, broadly speaking, do these regions and geographical landmarks look alright to everyone here? What criticisms of this world would you have? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world complete all climates with borders and temperature zones.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	620.0 KB 
ID:	129252

Note: this image does have borders on it, but they're not all strict country borders. In a lot of regions, they show linguistic or cultural divisions instead, and I'm still working on my country and empire divisions based on these borders. In any case, the main question I'm asking about this map isn't about the borders but about the geography and climate details. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I am definitely not the expert on realistic climates on the guild here, so I will leave it to someone else to give a detailed response but this is a thread started a while ago by one of the guild members (Azelor) about creating a realistic climate. It may be way, way more detailed than what you are going for but it involves many of the elements that I think many people would wish to see before commenting on how realistic your climates are. Elevation, precipitation and current (air and ocean) maps are among them. This is completely up to you though on how deep into this you want to plunge! I thought I was ready a few years ago and boy did I miscalculate !

Welcome to the guild though and I hope someone with more experience than me can help you here. This looks like a good start to a fun project.
    Last edited by Arimel; 04-11-2021 at 07:04 AM.

I highly recommend converting your map into the koppen classification system for climates, that would make it easier to compare with other maps and the result from pixie`s tutorial. If you have the time I recommend following that as well.

For now the only thing I can see is the middle part (equator?) of the right continent. I believe that should be tropical rainforest, not monsoon.