Thread: The Island of Geroneto

Default The Island of Geroneto

Hello!

I'd like to how you may first map of Geroneto, relatively small island off the West coast of Elmera continent. It is roughly the size of Ireland. The area is part of large archipelago that is remains of a long sunk part of a continent. It is still slowly sinking due to being located a bit north from a massive continental collision zone between Elmera and Rakheria, though it is not something people living there would notice, except maybe for ruins of some ancient cities being located in shallow water and the strange looking island chains formed from the old coastal hills.
    The North position is non typical, as I tried to fit the island with as little sea as possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Geroneto_F.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	880.4 KB 
ID:	129336

Here are very rough regional and world maps.

Name:	West_coast_Elmera.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	418.8 KB 
ID:	129337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World_map_WIP.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	473.0 KB 
ID:	129338

EDIT: I placed texture on a globe in Blender. Unfortunately polar regions are completely messed up. Thankfully I decided to leave south pole empty The rest looks ok I think.

Name:	Elmera_globe_view.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	129340

What do you think?
    Last edited by Archelaos; 04-17-2021 at 06:49 AM.

Pretty cool. I've become addicted to these earthy-tone historical maps in my short time lurking here. That will be an interesting world to explore if you keep developing it.

What did you use to make the 3D globe? I don't have much experience mapping/illustrating on global scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillshade View Post
    Pretty cool. I've become addicted to these earthy-tone historical maps in my short time lurking here. That will be an interesting world to explore if you keep developing it.

What did you use to make the 3D globe? I don't have much experience mapping/illustrating on global scales.
    I used Blender - it has built in equirectangular projection for texture on a sphere, so you just need to add uv sphere mesh to the scene (I used 128 segments by 64 rings to get nice smooth sphere). Then you add material to the sphere and set the texture you want to use - I used the one I made in KRITA. You can then paint directly on the texture inside Blender and export that to be used in any software.

Blender texturing is relatively easy, though the Blender itself is quite difficult to get started, but there are great youtube tutorials available. I made this after a few hours (and would be much faster if I started with tutorials rather than manual ) without prior Blender experience, though I have 3D sculpting experience, as I work with Zbrush. If you wonder why not stick to Zbrush, well, I was unable to make proper cartographic projection for sphere in Zbrush.

Guild Novice

Geez man! Your scale is incredible with this. I am actually kinda amazed. It took me like 10 minutes to find the island in the region map you provided! Haha. But yeah. I cant wait to see what you might do in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Archelaos View Post
    I used Blender - it has built in equirectangular projection for texture on a sphere, so you just need to add uv sphere mesh to the scene (I used 128 segments by 64 rings to get nice smooth sphere). Then you add material to the sphere and set the texture you want to use - I used the one I made in KRITA. You can then paint directly on the texture inside Blender and export that to be used in any software.
    I will check it out. I have more free time these days to get lost in new software.