Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making your Fantasy Map in QGIS

Tutorial Making your Fantasy Map in QGIS

Hey all!

I'm fairly active in the worldbuilding discord and subreddit and thought I would post this here!

I'm a GIS technician by trade and worldbuilding is a huge hobby of mine. So to pass time in quarantine I wrote this guide on how to use QGIS to digitize or create a new fantasy map from scratch.

Enjoy! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.ajm0nao9og2f

This looks like an excellent tutorial. Thanks for sharing with us!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

WOW. This is really impressive. I have used both ArcGIS and QGIS before in small projects and it was brain wrenching for me each time. This makes such an enterprise seem much more manageable though. Someday I might go through and actually test the method.

Nice tutorial, always a cool thing to see GIS users play with fantasy style maps
    With QGIS 3 you can do really cool thing with random fill markers, like depict little trees in polygons to make them look more like fantasy style forests ect..
    Last edited by Francissimo; 04-16-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This looks like an excellent tutorial. Thanks for sharing with us!
    Thank you! I hope it can help people with their mapping!

Quote Originally Posted by Francissimo View Post
    Nice tutorial, always a cool thing to see GIS users play with fantasy style maps
    With QGIS 3 you can do really cool thing with random fill markers, like depict little trees in polygons to make them look more like fantasy style forests ect..

Yup! I have a Module on that but there's still a lot that I'm learning myself. First and foremost may be custom symbols that you can make in GIMP or PDN and then import into QGIS.

Nice tutorial! Wow, a lot of work went into that, I hope a lot of people can find it really useful

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

This is great! I love seeing more GIS tools in fantasy mapping. Once I started using them, there was no going back. I use ArcGIS Pro and the Maplex labelling engine is amazing.

Some things I could see being added to this tutorial are creating a custom GCS for non-earth sized worlds and custom projections.

Quote Originally Posted by morne View Post
    This is great! I love seeing more GIS tools in fantasy mapping. Once I started using them, there was no going back. I use ArcGIS Pro and the Maplex labelling engine is amazing.

Some things I could see being added to this tutorial are creating a custom GCS for non-earth sized worlds and custom projections.

I've been struggling with this big! I'm lucky because my planet is the same size as earth. But I've been trying to figure out how to make a custom CRS that's larger or smaller than earth. ArcGIS custom projections may be easier to do it with-- I remember that you can set the extent so maybe if you hack it up you can say its like 50,000 miles. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

And omg yea! ArcMap's labelling image is leagues beyond QGIS. The lack of maneuverability with the QGIS labelling is honestly making me consider labelling features in paint.net. You're lucky to be using ArcGIS haha. I was able to use it from my work computer but I don't have that anymroe so now it's QGIS, which is many ways is nice but its not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Nice tutorial! Wow, a lot of work went into that, I hope a lot of people can find it really useful
    Thank you! I do too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast