Thread: Procedure to do a map like that?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected

First, thanks for your aswer.

Sorry but I didn't find this sandstone you mentioned inside the texturizer filter in CS3. But I've been thinking that I can get it with 2 bumps maps, one based in clouds and the other with another bump texture or may be bumping noise?..., in 3d is quite simple using bumps, I'm sure in Photoshop has to be easy as well.

I also made a question in my first post about scaling clouds, since I think it could be used to make the mountains combined maybe with some noise...

By the way could you please tell me the way to make the bump map in photoshop, I've been checking with the channels but not sure exactly the way they work, or if you know a good tutorial to do it... I've been reading with bevel but is quite more complicated and harder to remember than with channels.

You've actually chosen two of the things that Photoshop doesn't do remarkably well and the Gimp does.

The only way to get clouds at different scales with Photoshop's standard filters is to render the clouds in a document with a different resolution, then resize them and paste them into your working document. For smaller clouds, use a larger document. There are some plug-ins that make much better clouds, though.

Bump maps can be utilized a couple of different ways. If you use the Lighting Effects filter, your bump map needs to be a channel. It takes some fiddling with the settings to get good results with the filter, and I often run it multiple times on a variety of different selections in order to get enough variation in my mountains.

You can also define the bump map as a pattern and use it in the texturize option under the bevel & emboss layer style.

Finally, you could use the Displace filter, which references a file external to your document for the bump map.

Each method will get different results, and the best image may well come from using two, or even all three, techniques in tandem.

edit: Concerning the sandstone: filter > texture > Texturizer.
    In the drop down labeled "Texture:" there are four options: brick, burlap, canvas, and sandstone.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 03-28-2009 at 12:58 AM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name