Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Regional Map - Gaia

NymTevlyn

Um, sure. I'll get right on that as soon as I figure out how to do all that. The drop shadow is an effect on the landmass layer. Maybe I can find a way to make my own drop shadow so it's separate.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Your landmass layer is the layer with your continents on? If so, then your set-up is very different from the one I assumed. I'm afraid that as a gimp person I'll have to step back! You'll need Ascension or some other photoshop guru to help you out from here I'm afraid.

Edit: Whatever you do, there's a small glitch caused by your drop shadow routine in the far bottom left. You seem to have a hard edge to the shadow as it's taking the edge of the paper as the edge of the landmass.
    Last edited by torstan; 03-27-2009 at 12:05 PM.

NymTevlyn

I figured it out. I just made a 25% black opacity copy of the landmass and then applied that as the clipping mask to the clouds layer.

NymTevlyn

Here's the new and improved version with drop shadows where they should be and big fluffy clouds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map.Gaia.ver003.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	11788  

Wow, that looks phenomenal. I love the way the borders of the continents appear on this map, and no-one could possibly mistake the clouds for sea now. Very clear indeed. The arctic continent is brilliant too. I love those mountains.

All around awesome! (oh, there's still a small glitch in the bottom left. You could get around it by removing the cloud there so you don't see the shadow at all.

Repped for excellent perseverance with a wonderful result.

NymTevlyn

Drawing the mountains feels like cheating using the method Pasis came up with.

NymTevlyn

Pretty much have all the cloud, mountain, and landmass styles set along with the text labels. The next step is to work on the forests and rivers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map.Gaia.ver004.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	11792  

That looks great. Maybe you could add more clouds to it, though? And possibly you could put some clouds above the continents, now that you have them anyhow.

NymTevlyn

The clouds above will need to be used very sparingly. I had a layer to test it and it looked ok, but covers up a lot.

That's coming along beautifully. Good work.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast