Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Regional Map - Gaia

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I like the forests. They look great! Coming along nicely. I was wondering about the giant mountain. I'm glad to hear it's getting a name.

NymTevlyn

Probably just name it something unoriginal like Dragon Mountain and create a huge multi-level old school dungeon inside it.

Very cool! Great style and the forests are looking smashing. Can't wait to see it when it's finished!
    Have some rep for encouragement.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

NymTevlyn

The Midlands are mostly complete right now. Just need to add city names, the mountain name, and some local color in out of the way barren spots. Don't want to make the map too busy and this way, it provides freedom for the DM/World Builder to improvise at the speed of plot. Drahkmar and Tengoku aren't as important, since the bulk of the campaign will take place in the Midlands.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is one nice lookin map, love the clouds, love the colors, love the clean look...love it all. Excellent job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

You may want to add hints of TAB below. I think just a really blurred faded coloring of what TAB looks like would give even more overall depth to the whole map.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

NymTevlyn

The predominant religion in Heaven's Gate, believes the elemental realm, the material realm they live in, to be a stepping stone between different existances. Since they cannot "see" the Abyss and only glimpse the Heaven's Above, many try to dismiss the mutterings to the wind and stars by the faithful as nonsense. The Abyss is many hundreds of miles deeper into the atmosphere and not visible to the unaided eye, should any fool be brave enough to stand at the edge of the world and look down.

It is so deep that an unprotected human would be crushed by the pressure and cooked alive by the heat. Hence why it is the realm of demons and devils and elementals able to withstand the chaos below. Heaven's Gate is supposed to look idyllic and pleasant, so that's why there's all the vibrancy to the colors.

Ah, well then that makes perfect sense, but it does raise a question. Is there a barrier of any kind at the edge of the continents to keep people and animals from falling off? I'm looking specifically at the City of Bastia which appears to be very close to the edge. Also, has anyone created telescopes that look down toward the Abyss? Even vegetation I would think could be an issue if too much grew out past the edges would the gravity pull on it more? Hm... I could imagine an inverted "Jack and the Beanstalk" scenario where a section of jungle has grown over the edge and downward.

I'm guessing there are transport vehicles that can cross the divides made from the same minerals that keep the continents aloft? Are those closed, or open to the air? That would make for a fun encounter!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

NymTevlyn

No natural barriers in most places and your typical sane and intelligent person doesn't build near the edge, but there are some valuable resources open to the sky along the borders for those brave or foolish enough to try. Vegetation growing over the side would be one access route to travel lower. Though I wouldn't suggest it.

There are skyships, which are aging remnants of the Imperial Fleet from hundreds of years ago. They're very rare and very valuable. Less powerful and much slower are the airships which are crude facsimiles of the skyships. Finally there are the zeppelins which are pretty much one way trips from west to east or north to south.

They are as open or closed to the sky as you want to make them. Also, when you think skyship, think magi-steampunk armada style with smaller attack vessels. The world of Heaven's Gate is set following the rapid decline of the Imperial Order, ruled by the Magi. When the Magi vanished, the empire crumbled. They lost the capability to produce skyship engines. Engineers were slaughtered by anti-tech zealouts or kidnapped by fleeing military commanders. Most notable was the Home Fleet that fled the capital city of the empire moments before everything but the adamantium walls were destroyed. They fled the Known Shards and have not been seen since.

Bastia was the captial city and it lay empty for a hundred years or more due to superstition, but eventually treasure seekers and adventurer's jumpstarted a new economny there. Traders brought goods to sell to explorers seeking old Imperial treasures beneath the ruined city. The gates were reopened and the city rebuilt. The biggest surge in population came from Lydian refugees fleeing the culling the Eladrin army inflicted on Lydia for trying to cut timber from inside the Thessian border.
    Last edited by NymTevlyn; 03-28-2009 at 12:26 PM.

NymTevlyn

By the way, you can track the progress of the meat of the campaign setting at http://heavensgate.wikidot.com

My friend, Brigand, is adding things to the wiki daily.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast