Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May/June '21 Lite Challenge: Rose Creek (Magnificent Seven 2016)

Wip May/June '21 Lite Challenge: Rose Creek (Magnificent Seven 2016)

So, for my movie, I decided to go with the 2016 version of The Magnificent Seven. In the early part of the movie, there is a crude map of Rose Creek on parchment/paper, but it doesn’t have any labels and seems to be missing a few building along with, from what I can tell, not being very well scaled. The location of the church and cemetery are, however, rather obvious. Bearing that in mind, I snagged nearly 20 screen shots from the movie and inched my way through a number of scenes to try to determine what each building is. I think I managed to get all but a couple two or three of the buildings identified. I will have to fudge those with “filler” businesses (probably a post office, and a glass shop since those seemed to be the only missing “businesses” along with something else). There is also a creek/small river and a tent city as well as a few miscellaneous buildings (probably residences from the look of them) that I will have to define. All in all, though, for an “old west” town, I have a fair amount to work with.

All of that being said, I haven’t tried to map a town in a really long time, so this will be good practice for me, and a bit of a test for my creativity in terms of how I want to detail it with the false building fronts and mixture of flat and steeple roofs along with a few porch overhangs and exterior steps.

Here is a rough (very rough) layout of the town.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP 001.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	129866

I will probably rearrange a few things and maybe skew things slightly just to give it a less square/rectangular feel, but we will have to see if I can make some real progress on it first.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 05-23-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Bah!! Just realized I, apparently, don't know what month it is. If one of you admin types could be so kind as to help me catch up to the present, I'd be grateful.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Nice start on planning it. I'm fine with the squareness myself.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Bah!! Just realized I, apparently, don't know what month it is. If one of you admin types could be so kind as to help me catch up to the present, I'd be grateful.
    Fixed for you. Glad I'm not the only one having trouble with the concept of the passage of time over the past few months...

Nice start, and cool idea!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

@ Tiana: Not going to change things drastically, just little tweaks to give it a bit of variety.

@ CP: Thank you. I always wanted to try time travel, but didn't have a hot tub.
    GW

Welcome to the Challenge Mr Wolfe! Great idea, looking forward to seeing this develop!
    I just watched this movie about 2 months ago.

Thanks Mr. B. I actually like both the old and new version as well as the story of the seven samurai upon which the movies are closely modeled.
    GW

So, a bit of testing to see if I could get a shingled roof that I liked. Not 100% happy with the result, but not terribly disappointed by it either. Think I have a fairly good idea of how I will go about doing the roofs that are flat and/or made up of longer planks. Hesitant to say that I will add color to this at this point. Want to get it to a point of being complete before I even think about adding any color.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	WIP 002.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	129916
    GW

So, after a bit more playing around, I couldn't quite get the roofs looking like I wanted them to, thus, I've simplified things, aiming for something more like what you might see in a classic gaming module for something like Boot Hill. Also realized that I was trying to reproduce Rose Creek as it appeared in the movie, something Mr. B. asked us not to do. Backed up a couple of steps, worked out a new layout for the town and went crazy with some vector work on the first few buildings.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	WIP 003.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	308.7 KB 
ID:	129974
    GW

Looking good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast