Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ysi Earth world map II

Wow! The mountains are really nice!

(I just visualised myself making such mountains... and the picture of those hung up on the wall, printed in high-res, as an ideal template... )

These mountains are perfect enough!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preview.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	12178  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    These mountains are perfect enough!
    The mountains do indeed look good, but a minor nitpick:

The style and appearance of the mountains and the coastlines don't quite gel together for me. The mountains look very hand-drawn, the coasts not so much at the moment. But excellent progress.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    The mountains do indeed look good, but a minor nitpick:

The style and appearance of the mountains and the coastlines don't quite gel together for me. The mountains look very hand-drawn, the coasts not so much at the moment. But excellent progress.

Changing the coastline to look hand-drawn would seem problematic, but I have some ideas up my sleeves, many of them complicated. I presume you mean the wavy bits... Man. I'm NOT redrawing them by hand! I can't draw. Systematically. My hands are pseudorandom line generators.

I wonder what would happen if you desaturated the mountains a little, so they matched the saturation of the coast. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would still look pretty good, I think.

That, or you could lay down penlines in Photoshop/GIMP/etc, and stroke it with a slightly wobbly (technical term?) brush, to make it look hand-drawn without having to hand-draw it. I could explain what I mean better in PS, but I lack the experience with GIMP to translate there.

-asp

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    Changing the coastline to look hand-drawn would seem problematic, but I have some ideas up my sleeves, many of them complicated. I presume you mean the wavy bits... Man. I'm NOT redrawing them by hand! I can't draw. Systematically. My hands are pseudorandom line generators.
    I meant both in terms of color/saturation level (a gray versus the black of the mountains) and in terms of the smoothness of the coasts and the consistency of the coastal waters lines.

Quote Originally Posted by altasilvapuer View Post
    I wonder what would happen if you desaturated the mountains a little, so they matched the saturation of the coast. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would still look pretty good, I think.

That, or you could lay down penlines in Photoshop/GIMP/etc, and stroke it with a slightly wobbly (technical term?) brush, to make it look hand-drawn without having to hand-draw it. I could explain what I mean better in PS, but I lack the experience with GIMP to translate there.

-asp
    I'm pretty sure it's possible in GIMP as well. RobA did something similar with a map he created in GIMP/Inkscape, so I think he might be able to help with the process. It took very smooth lines like these and turned them into hand-drawn looking lines using the software to do it for him.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

i have been working ston-nop for nigh three hours now to give you the scraggly-looking coasts you so desire

don't talk about saturation yet, we're not done here. saturation and stuff comes much later, that's easy as a piece of pie compared to the ordeals i've suffered in the past hours. i had to download POtrace, for goodness' sake, because inkscape couldn't handle to strain

in fact the last couple of hours have been mostly a "gimp and inkscape dying on me and me trying out different combinations to reduce the memory footprint of the images) etc. the final coastline went through a path that is inkscape > gimp > potrace > inkscape > gimp, and that is without the false starts etc. etc.

and it's not even that impressive

i am never listening to you guys again

EDIT:

man and now i'm thinking about how maybe i should redo this completely to get better outlying lin-NO NO I CAST THEE OUT DEMON

EDIT:

Also, should I switch the direction of the sunlight for the other hemisphere. It would make thematic sense, in that the sun rises on the opposite side of the picture there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example2.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	12183  
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 04-08-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: i feel so weak

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is coming along quite nicely...bravo!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I love it. Very awesome.

And yes, I rezzed myself to make this statement. Can't remember if I ever repped you for this, so I'll go ahead and do it.

Actually, I think the ocean borders look quite good like that. The only difference now is the difference in colour depth between mountains and coast. As Karro said, one is more of a (light) grey, and the other is a dark grey/black. Looks great, though! You've been doing quite an amazing job, so far, so I think I'm going to clam up a bit and see where this goes.

-asp

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast