Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ysi Earth world map II

Quote Originally Posted by altasilvapuer View Post
    Actually, I think the ocean borders look quite good like that. The only difference now is the difference in colour depth between mountains and coast. As Karro said, one is more of a (light) grey, and the other is a dark grey/black.
    Well, honestly, I don't see much problem here. Mountains are big, thick and scary while coasts are more dainty and wear lip gloss. There should be a difference.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Well, I like what you've done with it, now. It looks good, and I think it's thematically tied together. (IMESHO) Good job!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    Well, honestly, I don't see much problem here. Mountains are big, thick and scary while coasts are more dainty and wear lip gloss. There should be a difference.
    I love this description, heh. And as I said, I'm going to clam up a bit and watch you work, because I like where your style is going, and I feel like I'm projecting my tastes a little too much - something I sometimes have a problem with. It is much harder to learn when you babble too much, as I've found out many times.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

-asp

This is still very WIP. The papery look is from a script of my devising (and some extra things that I did, I figured out something new~), but the mountains are suhtkoht done. Could do with adjustment everywhere, but I'm not really going to do it, am I?

EDIT:

I'm doing at least:

- trees
    - names for places (in a script you won't be able to read in pseudo-random words in a language I haven't bother to create (yet?))
    - more decorative stuff, thinking of adding to human figures in the corner (two kinds of mages, a Sealer, typical (well, usually found) on the Southern continent (so she goes in the upper left corner) and a Former, found on the Northern continent (lower right corner)) doing typically decorative stuff.
    - numbers, as in the older map

Possibly doing:

- new, less regular wave pattern for the seas.
    - small Here Be Dragon pictures, human figures, animals, sea monsters, etc.
    - small pictures for the cities, nothing much, a house or two. I also need to figure out a way to mark underground cities (found on the south polar area mainly). Upside down city symbol?
    - maybe political borders, though that might be better off as a separate map
    - volcanoes etc. tsunami signs, if i can bother to decide where they go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip2033090409.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	12215  
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 04-09-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool...what do the symbols in the lower left mean or are they just decorative?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Very cool...what do the symbols in the lower left mean or are they just decorative?
    That's just an elemental system I made up for something, and here used as decoration. A variant of systems I've created before, hierarchial in nature, tripartite here. There are three ultimate elements, which are divided into three second level elements, which are further divided into a third level (not shown here) etc. in theory until you get down (or up) to the most specific bits of the universe. This system is Sun element, Moon element and Earth element (changed here to Gold, Silver and Earth elements cause the world has three moons), which are subdivided into [Fire, Wind, Thunder], [Blood, Flesh and Breath] and [Water, Earth and Air]. These of course don't represent Fire or Blood or Earth directly, but just name the categories Fire, Blood and Earth, which represent stuff like Fire and Sap and Rock etc.

I love making up elemental systems, I really do.

EDIT:

Of course this system isn't factual in Ysi Earth, just like the representation here of the Solar System as a Tychonian system is factual, it's just something the map makers added there.

EDIT:

And the script is just nonce words written in Phelthie. I'll try to read them.

EDIT:

First the orthography, then latinized, and finally pronounciation in IPA

Sun: m̥a-e-ʔʰi-a, Mhe'ha, mhe+'ha "sun+metal", /m̥eʔʰa/
    Moon: ga-u-mo-ə-ʔʰi-a, Gumė'ha, /guməʔʰa/
    Earth: qa-o-bze-ʔʰi-a, Qobze'ha, /qobzeʔʰa/

Sun Sun: kʰa-l-dzo-i, Khaldzi, /kʰaldzi/
    Sun Moon: qʰo-a, Qha, /qʰa/
    Sun Earth: pə-e-l, Pel, /pel/

Moon Sun: n̥u-a-ne-a, Nhana, /n̥ana/
    Moon Moon: qsi-u-ʔa, Qsu'a, / qsuʔa/
    Moon Earth: blə-i-ŋ, Bling /bliŋ/

Earth Sun: tʰi-n, Thin /tʰin/
    Earth Moon: ze-u, Zu /zu/
    Earth Earth: ʔzo-ə-ŋə, 'Zė'ngė /ʔzəŋə/
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 04-09-2009 at 02:41 PM.

When I saw this thread I made an Eddie Murphey face and voice: "aaaaaaaaahsome"!

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT SIR This is the kind of project exactly that I'm planning.

I'm awfully glad you're sweating through it so visibly onscreen so I can figure out what to do.

Thanks! (And keep it up)

Apparently clamming up and leaving you room to work was the right approach, heh. This looks absolutely fantastic! And for the record, the mountains don't jump out at me, anymore. Great work!

-asp

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Yeah, it looks great, now! It's really all coming together beautifully.

And awesome work on the script. It looks really good.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Further WIPing here. Did forests and cities with brushes I made, adjusted the rivers to be less heavy, and tried out if I can draw at all, resulting in the woman Sealer (yes it is a woman and you will see the truth as soon as I learn to draw) in the upper left corner.

I'm going back home to the countryside for Easter, so I won't have a mouse. Luckily, the main parts that I was going to use mouse for on this map (the mountains and the brushes) are already done. Adding text is something I will do with the mouse (cuz it's vector stuff), etc.

I've started to think whether I should just use public domain images to make the picture pretty. There's that classical pictures of a Rhinoceros, for example. I was thinking of tracing and modifying it by removing the horn and adding tusks, to get a beastie I've had in mind... Large enough to be able to carry a gondola. And then there's of course the monoceroses, antelope-like critters with a horn before their eyes (like a rhino), etc. Man, "monoceros" is such an obvious name for a creature like that... I just noticed it on that page, but I coined it independently some time ago. :p

EDIT:

Three tree brushes, one for firs, second for lollipop trees and a third for "rainforest my bum", with a lot of droopy trees. Cities have just one brush (which was kinda annoying when I had to click thirty times to get the Big One, and then immediately after that I get it three times a row. THIS HAPPENED SEVERAL TIMES I SWEAR), but you can't really see the detail well at this resolution. You might notice some of the cities in the southern polar areas are upside down (if you look really really hard), and those are underground cities.

EDIT:

Here have some animals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip2131-10-04-09.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	12248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cleanwip100409.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	12249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	animals.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	12295  
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 04-11-2009 at 01:34 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast