Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Ysi Earth world map II

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Well... I may have come up with another possibility: purely additive, with numbers arranged by order, largest to the left, smallest to the right. The base is 6, with special characters representing the 1 through 6 as well as low-multiples of 6 (12 & 18, in particular), powers of six, and powers of six times each of 12 and/or 18 (so special character for 36 = 6^2, 72 = 12 * 6^1, 432 = 12 * 6^2, etc. etc.)

Some possible examples:

15 = (12)+(3) [cardioid plus S-shape]
    21 = (18 )+(3) [e-shape plus S-shape]
    615 = (432)+(180)+(3) [double-y plus northpole plus S-shape]
    468 = (432)+(36) [double-y plus sideways-lasso]
    412 = (216)+(180)+(12)+(4) [Sigma-shape plus northpole plus cardioid plus curly-3]

However, so far this doesn't line up with the 989 or 78 figures, or I can't see how it can, yet...

Edit: There's no logical proof of this, as yet. I just wanted to see what would happen if I assumed it was additive, and started plugging in numbers that I knew based on this, and still assuming the north pole is 180. Some other results of this: if the third meridian from the right of our "prime" (unmarked) meridian is 45 (sideways-lasso plus n-shape plus S-shape), then n-shape is 6. Then if the last meridian on the northern continent is 60 (sideways-lasso plus Z-shape), then Z-shape is 24, which is 6*2*2... So it might be the case that we also have a special symbol for each multiple of 6 where the other factor is less than 6, i.e. 6*3, 6*4, 6*5... so we'd postulate a unique character representing 30 as well. That would be the curly-M back a few meridians.
    Last edited by Karro; 04-15-2009 at 02:16 PM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Unrelated to the numbers, looking at the map, I also believe the character that looks like a backwards-schwa with a curly-cue on it means "Sea" or "Ocean".
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Karro, you are pretty damn close.

As a reward here's an alternative way to write 989.

i tried to make a suitably evil laughing devil smiley for this occassion but he turned out to be too jolly
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    Karro, you are pretty damn close.

As a reward here's an alternative way to write 989.

i tried to make a suitably evil laughing devil smiley for this occassion but he turned out to be too jolly
    Hmm. Mainly what this seems to suggest is that either the order of the digits is not important at all or that the rules governing digit order are not as straight-forward as largest digits to the left smallest to the right. Unfortunately, I don't see that it tells us anything else about this numeral system, or that it even offers a clue as to which of these is actually the case - particularly without a means of determining the value of at least one more of these symbols. I'll be poring over the map to see if I can find examples there that can help.

Okay... I think I'll have this figured out soon... I'm working through the values of each of the meridians, going with ASP's original assumption of 15-degree increments and proceeding all the way around to 360.
    Last edited by Karro; 04-16-2009 at 09:49 AM.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Sorry to double-post...

ASP: do you still want a crack at figuring this out? I ask because I've got it 95% figured out, I think (I still don't know why 989 can be written with the two symbols transposed, the original transcription of the numerals just look totally out-of-whack with every other example)... and I don't want to post the final answer if you still want a chance to work it out.

But I can offer this clue: I know enough to now recognize that there is an error in the labeling on the map. Starting on the farthest west meridian on the Northern section of the map (the map edge, labeled Sigma Z) from the very next meridian onward (Sigma Lasso e) all the way to the unlabeled prime meridian, all of the meridians are off by 15 degrees. In other words, the difference between Sigma Z and Sigma Lasso e is 30 degrees rather than 15, and the last labeled meridian before the Prime (Sigma G) actually should have the label right before it (Sigma J e S), and so on back to where the error started, whereas the value of the lable Sigma G shouldn't appear on this map at all!

I'll also say I believe I've correctly identified 15 of the first 16 unique numeral symbols (all except the numeral for 1, assuming there is one, of course) and 1 symbol from the next 5.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    But I can offer this clue: I know enough to now recognize that there is an error in the labeling on the map.

*checks*

BLOODY HE-

Argh.

This is correct, when shifting everything rightwards so's I could center the prime meridian on a new spot, I accidentally left out the second number of the Southern Continent Hemisphere (Which Is The Top Hemisphere, Not Northern Hemisphere, for the Hemispheres are East-West To Each Other).

Apologies for this.

But at least it seems Karro is pretty close to getting it. Here's a hint: there's 20 signs to be used to write all positive integers less than 1296. Most have not been seen here, and on the map only a certain set is used because all numbers are multiples of 15 (much like any number that is a multiple of 15 in our numeral system ends only in 5 or 0).

And if this helps, the first 989 was a nonstandard order, but still correct. Basically, I screwed up (I was supposed to do the later order), but that doesn't actually matter for this numeral system.
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 04-16-2009 at 12:40 PM.

I've been working in bits and pieces, still, but I need to account for the information in the last two pages or so, before I can do any more work. I haven't done much work in the past 2-3 days because I've either been at school, or going to sleep shortly after I'm home from it. Very long days.

I've noticed a possible pattern or two, though, that I need to explore some. I'll post more when I actually have something.

Also: Are the first symbol of 989 and the final symbol of 412 the same, or different?

-asp
    Last edited by altasilvapuer; 04-16-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by altasilvapuer View Post
    Also: Are the first symbol of 989 and the final symbol of 412 the same, or different?

-asp
    Errata to my last post, there are 20 symbols, not 40, and yes, the symbols are different.

Karro has basically got it, so I gave him all the details he could need.

Quote Originally Posted by altasilvapuer View Post

-asp
    As far as I could tell, 989 and 412 are completely different. The two versions of 989 only have the middle two characters transposed. I'd call it "Closed-curly-3, Cardioid, J, Backwards-curly-C" then "Closed-curly-3, J, Cardioid, Backwards-curly-C". 412, meanwhile, is only shown as "Sigma, Northpole, Cardioid, Curly-3", where Northpole is the same symbol that represents the north pole and Curly-3 is a completely different symbol from Closed-curly-3 (the value of the two aren't really related, they just happen to look similar).
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    Karro has basically got it, so I gave him all the details he could need.
    Does he get a thousand cookies then?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast