Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maps of the Miracle world

One of the things that always stands out for me in maps made using Artifexian's method is the complete lack of Dfb, which should make up a sizable fraction of the mid-latitudes. His method also tends to put deserts (and to a lesser extent, steppes) really close to ocean-facing east coasts, which is something that doesn't happen all that often on earth as oceanic moisture tends to penetrate farther into continental interiors. Without digging too deeply into the details, those are the first two things that jump out when I look at this.

Agree with MrBragg on this one, and that's one of the (many) reasons I prefer Azelor's method to the Artifexian method, even though it's more complex. I would also note that arid climates would generally have a band of humid continental climates (Dfb or the Dw climates) between the taiga (Dfc) rather than transitioning abrubtly. Some of the transitions from desert to tropical woodlands (Am) also seem quite abrupt- there's generally a wider band of semiarid climates (BSh) between the two biomes, with the Sahel being the only exception on Earth- and I expect that's more because of the unique geography of the Sahara and the Congo Basin.

Help

Hello all!

Resurrecting this thread to add an update to my attempted climates. Here I'm trying to religiously follow Azelor's climate tutorial, as suggested. The complexity of the method, my perfectionist attitude and uni work are conspiring to keep me from completion, but I will persevere! Here you can see the 'influences' as described in the tutorial, as well as the ocean currents, temperatures in January and topography. Can I just check that I've done everything broadly correctly before I continue? Do these look reasonable?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Influences.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	133784

Name:	Topogra[hy.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	8.72 MB 
ID:	133785

Name:	Temperatures January.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	133786

Many thanks for all of your help,

L1qu1dN1trog3n
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temperatures January.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	659.9 KB 
ID:	133783  

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Hello L1qu1dN1trog3n!

First of all, I want to tell you how much I love your effort with this conworld; it looks absolutely fantastic! Like yourself, I am a perfectionist by nature and I'm always questioning whether I've followed someone's tutorial/instructions "correctly." Are you using Earthlike orbital parameters and CO2 concentrations? If so, the January map looks reasonable. I like the way you depicted the effect of topography on temperature--very professional. Have you considered using Clima-Sim or ExoPlaSim for more accuracy? I can testify that ExoPlaSim is the best investment I've made for my time, as the program is a GCM that can do a 64 x 128 pixel image in just over 2 hours on my computer. It calculates things that a human being simply could not, considering the complexity of the climatological variables involved. Other than that, I eagerly look forward to you finishing this project.

Peter

I've always considered climate modelling software to take way more time to learn how to use than they're worth, though the sheer amount of time it took me to just do the temperature map for January is making me rethink that a bit! (I'm also studying for an Earth Sciences degree at the minute, so learning to use such programs may actually become professionally relevant for me in the future )

And yeah, my interest is far more in plate tectonics, culture and history than 'astrobuilding' if you will, so I prefer to keep all planetary parameters beyond geography the same. I've got enough work to do as it is!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12