Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Geidor

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think the oceans are fine, it's just the transition from land to water (the shoreline) that needs a bit of work.

I didn't see any major river infractions though with my work monitor it's a bit hard to see some of them.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, it is a little small. I've been doing the actual work at 5000x3300, but for uploading, I shrink it down to 3000x1941 before saving. I might upload a full-size JPG or two as I get closer to the end of the rivers. I'm probably at 75% or so, right now. A few of them could use some work, though.

And I think I'm going to play around with the oceans, anyway. They don't look wrong, per se, to me either, but I feel like I can do something different with them. I'm planning on extending this out a little, anyway. I'm going to expand the Eastern oceans a little, and do some stretching, and convert it to Equirectangular at some point.

-asp

Agree with Steel; the coast seems too rigid. Perhaps create a bit of beach and a softer transition into the sea.

Well, the rivers are pretty much done, for the most part. I'm still fidgeting a bit with their execution, but their paths are more or less finished.

I also toyed around with the shore, again, but I'm still not satisfied with it. I don't want to add any more beach than is there, as this is a world map and those would be huge beaches. My shallows also need a little work; I'm beginning to think the easiest way to fix them is to fix both them and the oceans themselves in one go. I leave for a 2 week vacation tomorrow, and am going to try to force myself to not touch this the entire time I'm there, but we'll see.
    That was as of the last Saturday of June or so, and I've mostly ignored the map while on vacation. Right now, though, I'm sitting in a hotel room halfway home with nothing to do until morning, and decided to do some poking around with cartography stuff. I'm finally uploading the most recent shot of the rivers, now. I kept coming in .02MB or so over the JPG limit and ran out of time to cut it down before we left, so I just did that tonight, and I'll upload it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP A-0.6b 4000x2588 - BasicCompleteMkIIIb.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	14722

I fidgeted with the oceans a bit, but I can't decide if I made things better or worse on that front. I definitely see what you guys mean on the too-crisp coast, though, now, and I agree. I might fidget with that tonight, but I don't know. I've got an idea or two to try on that note; just need time to test them out. Until then, any citations from the River Police?

As I've gotten deeper into this, I've found more and more things I want to do differently, though, and it would require almost completely re-vamping the entire thing. Which is not something I'm ready to do right this moment, but I do have another map in the beginning stages on which I might test some ideas.

-asp

EDIT: I also just noticed that my rivers are showing in some places where they intersect lakes. Ignore that; I know what happened and why, and I'll fix it by the next edit. This is what I get for semi-rushing some edits when I should've been packing last week.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ocean looks good to me, I wouldn't change it one iota. Seeing as you know where you're headed and what edits you need to make I'll just say that it looks good so far As far as rivers, they're fine but that giant wall down south might need some more flows going down to the plains and connect to that river on the right side.
    Last edited by Ascension; 07-09-2009 at 10:15 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I agree with Ascension - the oceans are fine. Good to see you working on this again.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I have to be honest, I think things are still looking great with this map. Others have already expressed their opinions about the transition from land to sea along the coastal regions, so I won't rehash that as it seems you might already have an idea about what you want to do with that situation. Can't really say as I have any other criticisms about this at all. It's been fun watching your progress so far, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what more you are going to do with it.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Well, I found some time and played around with the map a little more. I think I finally realized what I didn't like about the oceans: what I was shooting for before was more of an impression of the seafloor shape, and it didn't exactly work as well as I'd liked. So I decided to try to get a satisfactory shot of surface of the ocean, instead. It's not quite right, yet, I don't think, but I sorta like where it might head.

Here's a shot of the map, currently, with the "ocean surface" showing:

Name:	WIP A-0.6d - Surface Seas.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	14903

I've also done more work on the lakes and rivers, though, and lowered the saturation on the land, so for comparison's sake, here's a shot of the map currently, with the "ocean floor" showing:

Name:	WIP A-0.6d - Sea Floor.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	14904

What do you guys think? Do you think the surface oceans will work better with the rest of my map, so far, or the ocean floor-ish thing? I don't think either really is up to the par of where I want it, but I haven't decided which to pursue first.

-asp

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I don't really see a whole lot of difference, just color, between the two and both look fine to me so...shrug.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

For me the rivers are to dark in most places. I think they should match the lighter blue of the coastal waters rather than the deeper ocean color.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast