Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My biggest atlas project yet

Guild Member

Yeah, I'm pretty much having to do that. Thanks for the info, sadly I'm the other side of 40. I can image however indeed how excited the geology faculty became.

You don't have to be a student to talk to the faculty, and you don't have to be in your twenties to be a student. Almost all schools list professors in an online directory that doesn't require a login. Just email them and ask if they want to get coffee!

Progress!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	j preview 9-01.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	6.74 MB 
ID:	130943
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Guild Member

This is really taking shape Eowyn, looks fantastic, I really like in particular how the bottom of the 2 continents on the right is progressing.

Thanks! Want more progress? With pleasure.

Name:	j preview 12-01.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	7.88 MB 
ID:	131069

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Hello Eowyn!

Glad to see another very professional looking world-building project; you've demonstrated very much skill with not only the mountains but also the rivers. (How exactly do you craft them? I used to rely on Wilbur but lately opted for something more organic.)

I'm also liking to your colour choices for topography and the general clean look to this map. Do you have any astronomical data on this planet? Have you accumulated any lore yet?

Again, fantastic job with this project. I wish the Guild had more artists interested in this particular style, the equirectangular world. Gotta somehow market the hobby to a wider audience.

Peter

Hi Peter!

I relied on GPlates for projection accuracy, but pretty much everything else is handdrawn and eyeballed. I've used Wilbur for rivers before but I didn't for this piece. I also like an organic style and this is what Artifexian recommends in his amazing atlas series. It means a lot to read that I'm doing so well!

Lore-wise, this is something you should ask my commissioner about. I'll try to lure him into answering you as he sometimes lurks in this thread; I'm sure he'll be more than glad to find that people are interested in his conworld!

Thanks again for your interest and your kind words.

Wyn

Name:	basin.PNG 
Views:	40 
Size:	257.0 KB 
ID:	131085
    Last edited by Eowyn Cwper; 09-07-2021 at 12:21 PM.

commissioner here- I have ungodly amounts of data. What are you interested in?

The planet is earth equivalent, with a much lighter but thicker crustal layer and a smaller, denser mantle and core due to the addition of a single stable element to the periodic table, which makes up about a billionth of the planet by volume but weighs enough to make some slight changes (it's a dnd world so I needed a "magic rock" and an underdark and boy does that make my math more complicated.)

The rivers are my favorite part too!

Almost done! I'm looking for some final feedback now. Don't mind the grainy texture, that's because I had to reduce the file to fit the forum's requirements.

Name:	j preview 22-01 reduced.png 
Views:	606 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	131257
    Last edited by Eowyn Cwper; 09-26-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Personally, I'd like to see it in colors with more contrast (much darker oceans, for example), but of course that's an artistic choice which should be decided by the commissioner
    Selden

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast