Thread: Castillo de Loarre (Fantasy version)

Default Castillo de Loarre (Fantasy version)

Dear cartographers,

I'm sure that most of you - like myself - love real castles and also imagine fantasy ones.

For my private fantasy role-playing group I'm in the need of a castle in a mountainous Mediterranean area. So I stumbled on the Castle of Loarre in Spain, which is a nearly perfect fit for my purpose. Unfortunately, it is partly in ruins, so we must imagine how it might look like in a fully functional fantasy setting.

As a first step, I would love to have a top view without the need for interior map details (maybe future commission). So a town-style would be perfect, similar to the great work that John (Suruq) and Greg (Heldor) already did for our group in the past. But since the castle has only a few buildings, more details on them would be nice to make them look lively. ;-)

The interesting feature of this castle is that the main gate (in fantasy with a gatehouse) is on the lowest level. Then stairs lead under the big church upwards to a first level and some smaller steps outside to the main inner castle. Also, the castle layout is very nice and typical of medieval times. No need to integrate the long outer wall in the illustration - just the section of the view I attached. No grid needed.

So here is a nice drone video of the original Castillo de Loarre:
    http://castillodeloarre.es/wp-conten..._1280_high.mp4

Attached is also my preferred layout as I imagined or need the buildings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Original Castillo.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	130795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout Castillo.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	693.4 KB 
ID:	130796

If you google Castillo de Loarre you can find many more photos.

If you are interested in this gig, I would love to hear from you!

Best regards

Christoph

Hi Christoph

I would be interested in this commission, I've done several drawings of historical castles such as this in the past and find them to be quite an interesting subject. You can view my past work in my Gallery, my "Town on a Hill" and "Fentonwood College" maps are particularly applicable, I'm also currently working on a large city map and work in progress pictures of this can be seen on my Instagram (no pictures of this one on my website yet as I'm still working on it).

You can view my commission information here, and if you are interested in my work you can contact me through the commissions page or email me at minishcartography@gmail.com.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Hey William,

thanks for your reply. I'll send you an email.

It's not my kind of mapmaking but the title caught my eye! I remember visiting el Castillo de Loarre as a child. I bought a slingshot there as a souvenir. ^^
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Yes, it is one of the most beautiful castles in Spain. ;-)
    I hope you like the map and illustration then, when I'm finished.

Hi Chris,

If you are still looking for an artist I'm interested in the project.

You can check my work on the links below and contact me at sergiocolauttiart@gmail.com

https://www.deviantart.com/thedwarfa.../69837542/maps
    https://www.instagram.com/sergio_colautti/

Kind regards,
    Sergio