Thread: August 2021 Challenge: Welcome to Pepool!

Default August 2021 Challenge: Welcome to Pepool!

So, this is what I got (I've circled the elements I plan to incorporate):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img20210816_12005650.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	130849

I'll be mapping Pepool itself. There's some disagreement as to the proper pronunciation, those favoring a long "e" claim that the name comes from an embarrassing incident at the time of its founding. Those favoring a short "e" say it was named for the stimulant herb found locally, "-ool" being an Old Elvish derived suffix meaning "source, supplier".

In any case, it is noteworthy that the halflings in Pepool seem to have been stealing a lot of knowledge, as they take up most of the loremaster slots on the sheet.

Given the somewhat cheesy and absolutely cliched nature of the generator, I shall be aiming more for a D&Desque "what fantasy gamers think should be in a town" setting than any kind of realism.

Wip

So, the first step is to get the lay of the land. I need a river (the White River). Despite the name, it will be shown as blue. The land is in shades of green, representing bands of 10' elevation above the river banks. I know I want a hill on which to place the Blood Altar of Zago, while the County Garrison should have an elevated fortification, but also needs to be near the water to deal with those troublesome halfling river pirates, so I've a rise for locating their fortification as well. Scale is 2"x2" to the pixel, with the river about fifty feet wide.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Pepool.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	130852

Most of the buildings are laid out now, as well as fishing and military docks, edge of the graveyard, sacred grove, and the Blood Altar of Zago. Exotic colorings call out temples where the number-of-stories based colors I intend to use for most buildings don't fit the exotic architecture so well.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	20 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	130918

Further progress:

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	17 
Size:	485.6 KB 
ID:	130930

Map

I think this is finished. A little additional information: the flow of the White River is toward the top of the map. The Pyramid of Andah is the tallest building in town. "The Thief's Inn" is named solely for its high prices, made the official name over the original "Jack's Inn" after Jack's death and the subsequent sale of the property. Esidas's scheme to get the Demonic Rod of Sthele is to make enough money selling minor magics to adventurers in his magic shop to purchase the dread item of his undead dreams. He mostly leaves handling the business to underlings as personal interactions require a good deal of deception to avoid negative reactions to his skeletal appearance.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	32 
Size:	577.4 KB 
ID:	130945