Thread: Map Commission for Fictional Novel.

Default Map Commission for Fictional Novel.

i am no longer looking for a artist, but thank you guys for your advice.
    Last edited by HouseUnstoppable; 08-22-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Mate, there's no point in beating around the bush here: I suggest you add a zero to what you're willing to pay. There's no way in hell anybody will do that type of map for a commercial venture for $45...

Oh, yeah, this sort of project is going to be a lot more than $45. A great deal of work has to go into something like this and for use in a commercial product would only add to the cost.

My esteemed colleagues are right, unfortunately. I appreciate you are writing this novel as a hobby, but most of the artists here do rely on commission work for part or even all of our income. For us it is a job, and so we have no choice but to charge accordingly. A map like this is going to take a lot of time and effor to put together, and working for 50 cents an hour doesn't pay one's rent.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 08-21-2021 at 08:53 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Agree whole heartedly with what others have already said. But out of curiosity, what do you consider a official artist? In all honesty there are a lot, and I do mean a lot, of artists here that are light years ahead of some of the maps I've seen done by official artists for books.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Given that many who post here have worked with game studios and publishing houses, I'd say we are the "official" artists, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Given that many who post here have worked with game studios and publishing houses, I'd say we are the "official" artists, lol.
    Like pretty much every major professional cartographer hangs out here, at least a little bit. We are "official artists".

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Default Close Thread

While I have drawn down my expectations to a topographic map rather than a satellite based one, I am going to go ahead and say I have found someone on Reddit who will be taking up the map. I have already given them a rough draft of what I would like and all that good stuff. I would like to add that IF I had accepted a commission here, It would really be a reference for myself. Something to use as a concept in the time being until the book itself is complete and I can hire someone else to do something a little more advanced as what I initially described, the final concept would be what's printed on the inside cover, this is not it. So thank you to everyone here.

To answer your question Wolfe:
    Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Agree whole heartedly with what others have already said. But out of curiosity, what do you consider a official artist? In all honesty there are a lot, and I do mean a lot, of artists here that are light years ahead of some of the maps I've seen done by official artists for books.
    Tiana already kinda gave the answer:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Like pretty much every major professional cartographer hangs out here, at least a little bit. We are "official artists".

Not only that but "Official Artist" is really just a term I threw in there by accident. This is really the ONLY place I could put up an advertisement like this. All subreddits refuse to allow you to even utter the word "commission" in a lot of cases. In any regard you can consider this thread closed, I guess.

Default Clarifcation

Well, not by accident. More like I threw it in there to distinguish that this map that I was asking for at the moment of this thread's original posting would be used as a personal reference until it would be translated into something a little more "official." "Official" being the actual final product, which again, this is not.

That was really the reasoning behind the low price but I acknowledge now that the kind of map I was asking for required a LOT OF time and work. Again, I decided to roll with a simple topographic map.