Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Abebe

See the other thread for some suggestions for your cities. You know which one I mean.

By the way, I really like your style. I am glad I just gave you some rep The thumbnail isn't that impressive, but when I zoomed in it started to look really good. Nice job.

Can I book with you if I want to go to the city of pleasure, by the way? Sounds like a fun place to be... or maybe not.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Ha...I'm thinking a city based on entertainment and relaxation - for kids and adults...vegas in the 1300's sorta thing.

Well, if they have been studying pleasure for centuries, it must be a great place
    Still, one man's pleasure, is another man's pain... there could be a very dark side to that city.

Hmm, the City of Pain?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

interesting idea...(and thanks for the suggestions)...

I was trying to think of a name for a city devoted to the "dark arts"...torture/interrogation/murder/assassination/etc.

A City of hmm...State Security? Darkness?

City of Evil
    City of Dark Guilds...

Hmm, this is a tough one.

I'm not happy with City of fish...I want something that sounds right while implying, well, water-based life form umm...farming/fishing/eating.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

City of Anguish?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Haha, I hope Steel General wasn't thinking of a different name for the City of Fish
    Maybe City of the Seas or City of the Lakes. Or just City of Water.

Anyway, City of Anguish sounds cool.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

No, I was intending that for the dark-themed city.

As for fish... City of Aquatics or City of Hydrography?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hydrography - I like that! Thank you!

City of Anguish...hmm....getting closer. The name should sound, well like a ministry in a dictatorial/oppressor's government - innocuous/ironic/positive, though everyone knows what really goes on there...

Some more tentative history of Abebe...

The Federation is the area where the majority of humanity survived after "the disaster".

What remained there was, essentially, survival of hunter/gatherer/fighter marauding gangs. Each was a distinct hierarchy of the toughest took what he wanted and left the rest for the next toughest and so-on. It was a culture of strength and fear. At one point on the location of Federation itself, one gang set upon a gathering of weakling families who had lived in fear and hiding...not helping each other, but not attacking each other either. As the slaughter began, a stranger appeared and killed the toughest of the raider, and several more who challenged him. As the other raiders fled, the families prepared for the worst. The stranger, though, instead of taking his fill of supplies/equipment/lives, gathered everything and everyone together....not to gloat, but to share out what was there. He himself taking an equal share.

(this is the starting point for their future culture of sharing, working together, supporting all)

An old lady/child/someone to be determined takes a pebble and puts it in her empty purse. And she does so every day for a year...tracking how long the new life lasts...one of cooperation instead of , etc...etc..etc...

(this is where their awareness of time and change begins, leading to their need to write -> development of writing -> tracking/documenting all to see how changes affect area of study -> specialization of cities...growth...)

Flash forward a few thousand years. Mutations in the population create a schism in the Federation. Some who believe it's natural, and some who think it's an abomination. The 2nd group wins the FEderation territories after a while.

This City of Anguish/death/security was started then - cue Emperor Palpatine's subversion of Star Wars world-like history - people like it in the beginning (xenophobic underpinnings) - and it turns on them in the end....forcing 40% of the population (after the civil war) is forced out of the mountains into the outside.

Flash forward another few thousand years. Federation is an isolated island. The rest of Abebe is growing in population. Federation forbids all contact with outsiders, vigorously defending their "pure" borders. By now, the city of ____ is the state police/inquisitors/etc all rolled into one for all of Federation.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast