Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Abebe

I'm back experimenting with Abebe and was wondering what you folk though about the river appearance here (not placement)....how does it work for you with the rest of the look/feel of that image?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abebe-retry..png 
Views:	117 
Size:	675.0 KB 
ID:	22813

I'll be looking at how I can combine Tear's style which is what I've used here, and some of my previous experiments.

Here's a first run.......

Name:	abebe-retrey-clim.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	22815

And combining the rivers with the other climate experiments - this time with 4-5 different "tree" layers...

Name:	abebe-retry-clima&.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	22848

I reduced the inner glow of the shore-line's stroke, as it was causing all the river-banks to look, well, like they were devoid of trees....

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I like the look of it. Stylistically works very well, IMO.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Thanks Karro!

I'm thinking that these represent something approaching a final "style" for Abebe. The climate example is at 100% resolution, and the mountains is at 50%. I'm liking the mountains now, which is a first - even the larger blobby areas that were formally white (having maxed out, more or less) coming out of FT Pro.

Name:	abebe-retry-final.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	474.4 KB 
ID:	22932 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abebe-retry-final.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	22933

I based this on, for the most part now, Tear's tutorial, with a moderate amount of tweaking of his layer settings and addition of a few layers. Thanks Tear (and everyone else who's helped with tutorials and suggestions so far).

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Haha, I hope Steel General wasn't thinking of a different name for the City of Fish
    Maybe City of the Seas or City of the Lakes. Or just City of Water.
    City of Docks
    City of Wharves
    City of Foul Smelling Canneries

?

Thanks for reminding me that I've got a few thousand cities to name

Here's the latest incarnation of Abebe. I've been playing lately with climate regions. They've all been applied with procedures, not calculation or by hand, but I'm liking the overall feel of the result. I'll be adding in at least one desert zone.

Name:	abebe-climates..jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	23849

Any feedback, suggestions, or criticisms are welcomed. (And I know there are some mountain ranges center-mass, but I'm good with that now....)

All I can say is WOW! No criticisms at all. I love the general shape and the colors, and the hex graph works perfectly.

I'm finally returning to this project. I'm also starting to experiment with ways to display it online at full resolution. Here's a current incarnation: http://davidpiercey.com/Abebe/abebe-2011-01-22.html

I'm finding that I have to refresh in the browser more than I used to (odd freezes in the running of the map api), though I'm not sure why. If any of you have ideas, let me know.

I'm not sure where to go next. I got bogged down, last time, trying to name everything. I'm trying to rethink my approach.

(This zooms down about 8 levels in and represents a close approximation of the original 30000x15000 image).

EDIT: Just noticed that the the fonts on the compass aren't right...Now I have ot figure out my original font....

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast