Thread: Mostravok - region map

Map Mostravok - region map

Hey everyone,

Background
    This is Mostravok. I've been thinking about this island for over 7 years now, ever since I was a kid and started thinking about creating a fantasy world/creating maps. It has radically changed throughout the years (just like I have, obviously). First I wanted it to be a bit of a Viking setting, then it was the home of the dwarves, and on and on the changes went. That first map is at the very least 6 years old, I think.
    But now that I've decided to actually write down the stuff, it's time to set things in stone. This island has a special place in my heart, but I also want my work to mature, and I think it's time for Mostravok to take a smaller role than I first thought it would have. Mostravok is now a bit of a 'tutorial island' for me, a place where I can try out new things. Trying out my new drawing tablet, drawing techniques, (world) lore, characters, etc.

Personal goals
    So here it is! This is the first map I made using my new drawing tablet (Huion Kamvas 13), so I'm still getting used to it.
    With this map I wanted to learn these things specifically:
    • Compass rose. I have always struggled with this. I think it went pretty OK though!
    • Creating diverse forests. I'm not too happy about the forest in Voynar Valley and Plywac, but I do like the forests near Kamuk and Breunz. Will need to experiment a bit more with redwood forests and aspen forests in the future.
    • Side drawing. I love it when maps have little drawing to the side. So I added a boat and a sea monster.

Next time I want to focus more on the terrain. I think the mountain ranges are a bit too narrow and there is a lack of hills/further details in the terrain. Also maybe I'll try to create a nice looking frame.

Story
    The story is included in the map, on the top right side. However, it's in a strange language mainly used by people-of-the-swamp. So here is a translation for the folk that speak the common tongue:

MOSTRAVOK
    The isle of Mostravok lays in the ice cold far-north of Noertus.
    Nine tribes of Men and Oreads divided the island in their power. They cut down the trees and build their forts in valleys low and on hills high. But the original inhabitants of the isles, the forests nymphs like the Dryads and Alseid, didn't give away their lands and trees without a fight.
    A bloodthirsty war between flesh and plant erupted. But the Nymphs were no match against the forged bronze of the invaders. They agreed on the Treaty of the Bark, which divided the land between Nymphs and Noerzels, and they (as the weaker party involved) only kept a small part of their lands.
    Deforestation has changed the land and the demand of nymphwood keeps rising. Do the Nymphs keep control on their lands, or do the Noerzels invade the nine reservations?
    Info
    An island in the northern part of the continent. Around the size and climate of Iceland.
    Created using Photoshop and drawing tablet.

Map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mostravok3.1.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	8.09 MB 
ID:	131390

With the reservations in green:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mostravok3.1Alt.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	8.10 MB 
ID:	131391

Hope you enjoy it!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

That came out really well. The colors and linework work really well together.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Good job ! I like a lot your lineart and color.. .and also the way you managed to use the texture of the paper !

A very fine map! Both efficient and well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    That came out really well. The colors and linework work really well together.
    Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Good job ! I like a lot your lineart and color.. .and also the way you managed to use the texture of the paper !
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    A very fine map! Both efficient and well done.
    Thank you all for the nice comments!

you definitely cracked all your goals :-)
    I love seeing all those different forest types on the one map. ... I am inspired to try that now... it is to easy to forget that forests change from place to place and just draw the whole map the same

Nice map and history.

Nice work! I really like how the forests came out, they have a nice softness to them if that makes any sense. The colouring of the sea and the parchment itself is a bit too saturated for my taste, but the look of the landscape of the map itself is really solid.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.