Thread: Oct/Nov '21 Lite Challenge: Return of the Pumpkin Patch

Default Oct/Nov '21 Lite Challenge: Return of the Pumpkin Patch

Cue the flashback sequence...

In October 2020, the regular Challenge was to produce a Halloween themed map. My entry was "The Pumpkin Patch". The lore provided was short:

Rumors have reached you ears of a mysterious wanderer and his acolytes, wandering from farm to farm looking for "a place that is right". Exactly what he is seeking is uncertain, but your investigation leads to a confrontation on a pumpkin field on All Hallows' Eve, where a small group is conducting a strange ritual.
    I had plans for a scenario to be built around this. Unfortunately, this is as far as I got:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PumpkinPatch.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	131632

A good start, but incomplete. Then, I lost the working file. I still have the leaf and pumpkin elements that I created then (they're available in my map elements thread), and I have thought about how to make my process quicker (creating whole segments of leafed vines that can be reused, rather than trying to add leaf cluster to match a mess of individually-drawn vines, should make things go a lot faster), so I'll be giving this a second attempt, with the expectation that this time, it will be completed in under a month, and with no perceptible loss of sincerity.

Wip

And here's a background. Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but it should be mostly obscured by leaves and pumpkins, so it just needs to offer the occasional glimpse of greens and browns. And it gives me something to work against other than a harsh, solid white.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Pumpkin Patch.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	4.70 MB 
ID:	131633

Good to see you giving this another try. You are off to a good start.

Wip

There has been progress. It's not exactly exciting to review at the end of each session, as it really is just vines, leaves, pumpkins, then more vines, leaves, pumpkins, but it is starting to fill up. I might want to put in an improvised stone altar for the cultists (by the really big pumpkin in the middle of the field).

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Pumpkin Patch.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	741.2 KB 
ID:	131803

Well, it is complete. I'm going to go ahead and post the version with 5' grid for scale here and gridless as my challenge entry in the next post. I used a (darkened version of a) Bogie rock element for the stone altar, since I didn't have a suitable one of my own and time is just about out.

Name:	Pumpkin Patch with grid.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	131874

And here it is, my sincerest effort:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Pumpkin Patch.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	131875