Thread: Hi!

Default Hi!

Hi everyone reading this!
    I'm a Spanish university student who, despite being majoring in something completely different, loves to make and/or look at maps. I'm really starting from scratch, since my maps are really basic and all I've done is copying by hand other maps I've seen on the Internet. My interests in cartography are basically historical maps, I love them and I think can make a good map out of my so far poor drawing skills and my quite learnt history knowledge. Nevertheless, I'm also interested in fantasy cartography because my girlfriend is writing a fantasy novel and I'd like to help her with some illustrations of maps of her imaginary towns and places. Now that I've said this I have to admit that, as stated before, I'm not quite skilled when it comes to drawing maps and I'm looking for the best tutorials/guides to start from the very beginning, both in terms of materials to use and also in learning the ability to draw properly.

Any help is appreacited it, and I hope to have a great time in this forum!
    Thanks for reading, and see you all!
    Carlos.

Hi Carlos, and welcome to the Guild! We're glad you joined.

You can head for the Tutorials section for some guides to start. Something else you might consider is using brushes for things like mountains, instead of drawing them yourself (though practice can help a lot with drawing skills!) Guild member KM Alexander has some lovely historical brushes that you might like.

If you need help finding your way around, just ask.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"