Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Regional Map From Upcoming Novel Series

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Simply stunning. This is a real triumph of elegance and restraint (and yes, I am a sucker for a good hand drawn map!)

Alright, here is essentially the same version (couldn't match the lighting effect perfectly, but its very close to the previous version) with a faint border around the lighter text as suggested.

And once again, thanks for the critique in advance.

Regards,

- Auth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valcia Map V3-2.jpg 
Views:	2034 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	12140  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is so nice I snagged a copy for my "Inspiration Folder" that I keep on my hard drive. I have nothing to add so unless others see something, I'd call it done...and a masterpiece too
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Absolutely perfect. Everything is clear and legible. The colours, the art, there’s not much that I can say except give up on the novel and become a professional cartographer instead!

Really hope to see more of your work in the future.

DMG

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Wow, that did it! Just a faint darkening around the letters, and now they're very clear, and the glow doesn't over-do it. Beautiful!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I'm curious: how exactly did you render your crack in the map. It looks absolutely amazing! I look at it and think I'm looking at a map on an actual piece of sandstone whose caretaker has been sleeping on the job again.

-asp

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    This is so nice I snagged a copy for my "Inspiration Folder" that I keep on my hard drive. I have nothing to add so unless others see something, I'd call it done...and a masterpiece too
    Wow, thank you so much. And I have no qualms with you saving a copy. Hell, you helped me get this far with it in the first place so by all means enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by DungeonMasterGaz View Post
    Absolutely perfect. Everything is clear and legible. The colours, the art, there’s not much that I can say except give up on the novel and become a professional cartographer instead!

Really hope to see more of your work in the future.

DMG
    HAHAHA! I can say that working on this map was really fun, so perhaps if the novel doesn't work out (very rarely does a 1st time author make a marketable book), I can look into it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Very nice...
    Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Wow, that did it! Just a faint darkening around the letters, and now they're very clear, and the glow doesn't over-do it. Beautiful!
    I'm glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by altasilvapuer View Post
    I'm curious: how exactly did you render your crack in the map. It looks absolutely amazing! I look at it and think I'm looking at a map on an actual piece of sandstone whose caretaker has been sleeping on the job again.

-asp
    I essentially followed this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC9-KBY7Pvg

Although it didn't work out as easily for me as it seems in the video; I had to go in and cut the crack out of the stock image and applied an inner bevel to make it stand out a little more. Hope this helps!

This really looks great now. great job! Love the style......makes me wanna redo all my maps :-)

I made a thread in the 'finished maps' board:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5091

Thanks again, everyone! This was really fun, and the Cartographers' Guild is one of the best online communities I've had the honor of being a part of in a long time.

I'll definitely be sticking around for awhile.

- Auth

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast