Hello everybody!

I'm currently working on creating a map for a story that I'm writing. The story is centered on the smallest, southernmost continent of its world. Most of my goal in mapping is to create a backdrop for the cultural worldbuilding that I'm doing, and I'm hoping that if I follow scientific principles, I might find some interesting quirks for each region that I can incorporate into its culture and/or give it a specific character.

As for the map, I'm trying to create an information-rich document that I can search through as a reference while writing. I don't think it's going to be particularly pretty, at least not for a while. My current plan of absolute madness is to try to draw out the continent shape in GPlates, mostly since I have yet to find a projection that is kind to polar continents (let me know if any of you have strategies for that!). Then, using the shapefile from GPlates, I'll use QGIS to overlay other important information, like climate, currents, winds, geology, etc, as well as later on, biomes and human societies. I'm not sure if this is the best workflow, so if anyone has any tips and tricks or advice I'd gladly appreciate it.

I’m putting up my latest sketch of the continents for this world, as well as a sketch of the Southern Continent’s most important features. I’m hoping to start building the full map soon and post progress when I have it! I’m also still a beginner at map-making, so I would love any critiques that any of you might have to give my work.

(This is my first WIP post, so if anything is missing or I'm doing anything wrong, let me know.)

Here is the world map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA88980F-F3B1-4A75-A47F-DEED46A59E78 1.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	132370

And here is the Southern Continent, with features that I know for sure I want to include (the sea in the middle, mountains to the east, hills to the west, a large lake, a river delta, and a central plateau-ish area):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	421E2866-9B04-45B7-884E-5B613CFAB98A.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	907.3 KB 
ID:	132371