Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Argentia Topographica | The World of Naos

This looks great! Definitely a big fan of the color scheme and the general style- reminds me of an atlas from the mid-20th century.

More progress on a variety of things, most notably new oceanography. I decided to try hand-drawn this time, and I think I'm mostly happy with how it turned out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post_process_test copy.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	132817

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

If I may interject:
    When there is a geographic coordinate grid on the map, the town names should be aligned with the parallels.

For example:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	conic-names.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	132818

Also, the coordinate grid looks weird, like it's a fragment of another map. The tangent meridian should be in the center, but it is shifted to the east.
    For this map, the tangent meridian should be 28 E, not 26 E. A small detail, but always.

What projection did you use for this map?

Also, the place names should be on the same side of the river/lake as the signature of that town.

Name:	names-rivers.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	351.4 KB 
ID:	132819

Besides that, it's a very cool map.
    Last edited by Impractical Cartographer; 02-20-2022 at 02:56 AM.

Absolutely, the color palette is great!
    What software did you use?

I welcome any and all advice and criticisms!

My primary inspiration/visual reference is the Pergamon World Atlas so hopefully that gives some context to what style I'm shooting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Impractical Cartographer View Post
    When there is a geographic coordinate grid on the map, the town names should be aligned with the parallels.
    Wow, this is such a subtle thing and it makes a world of a difference. Did not even realize. Thank you!

Also, the coordinate grid looks weird, like it's a fragment of another map. The tangent meridian should be in the center, but it is shifted to the east.
    For this map, the tangent meridian should be 28 E, not 26 E. A small detail, but always..
    That's fair. I created a Equidistant Conic projection for the entire island (laziness), but all my data is properly georeferenced so it's easy to change the projection on the fly, and it does look better. That aside, I don't know why the central meridian of the projection was set to 26.. thought it had been 30!

Also, the place names should be on the same side of the river/lake as the signature of that town.
    Yeah, this one's tough. The Maplex labelling engine is fantastic a lot of the time, but it does sometimes feel like I'm fighting against it. I'm not placing labels by hand so it comes down to tweaking the settings and feature weights to get the optimal output. But at a certain point I'll probably just have to except that not every label will be perfect.

Name:	post_process_test copy.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	132824
    Last edited by morne; 02-20-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Well done! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Wow, design wise this is one of the best maps I saw here in the last time. Shows how much there is still to learn, also in the technical aspects.

I saw you made a underlying shaded relief. May I ask how you did this?
    Also, is there some kind of backstory to this place you show on the map?

Quote Originally Posted by rbnvgl View Post
    Wow, design wise this is one of the best maps I saw here in the last time. Shows how much there is still to learn, also in the technical aspects.

I saw you made a underlying shaded relief. May I ask how you did this?
    Also, is there some kind of backstory to this place you show on the map?
    Thank you!

The shaded relief is made by generating a hillshade layer from the source heightmap that my topography is made from. It's set to overlay at a lower opacity to give the shaded effect.

I do have some backstory---this world will be used for a ttrpg I'm making, which is a fantasy world set with early industrial era technology and magic. I haven't really compiled my notes too much on Aljieudum in particular, but it is one of the more advanced nations in this particular region of the world, being a large mercantile power on the sea. The Basentia Omnia is located in Meripol, Aljieudum's capital, which is one of the more prestigious universities that trains Acronists, this world's version of wizards, which gives them a ton of power in a variety of industries. For instance, Air Acronists use Gravity to power the Aerostats and Railways, and Space to control the Prismagates that allow for instantaneous travel to other major cities.

Default Global Climate

Well, I decided to take a step back and work on the global scale for a bit before coming back to regional maps.

Name:	naos_topo.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	132996

The source heightmap has a lot more detail, but this simplified view provides a nice digestible overview of the topography.

The really cool thing, though, is my deep dive into climate simulation. I've long sought after a way to simulate or even just prescribe climate to a given world heightmap, rather than do it by hand. Songs of the Eons does a great job, actually, at prescribing climate using a variety of methods, but the output format leaves a little to be desired and requires a decent bit of cleanup. There are a lot of GCMs out there, but 99% of them are out of reach for mere mortals, requiring both a Phd in climatology and access to a super computer. However, I came across this very recent tutorial that uses a relatively new GCM, called ExoPlaSim, that uses Python to simulate exoplanet climate using methods that are actually feasible on consumer hardware. And the tutorial by Nikolai on top of that makes it relatively easy to dive in and actually get it working.

With that said, I've ran through nearly 4 decades of simulation on my world with the following results.

Jan/July Pressure Systems

Name:	jan_pressure.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	367.6 KB 
ID:	132997

Name:	july_pressure.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	343.0 KB 
ID:	132998

Jan/July Temperature

Name:	jan_temp.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	232.3 KB 
ID:	132999

Name:	july_temp.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	133000

Jan/July Precipitation

Name:	jan_precipitation.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	373.9 KB 
ID:	133001

Name:	july_precipitation.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	133002

Jan/July High Altitude Winds

Name:	jan_wind_high.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	379.5 KB 
ID:	133003

Name:	july_wind_high.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	390.3 KB 
ID:	133004

Jan/July Surface Winds

Name:	jan_wind_low.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	563.3 KB 
ID:	133005

Name:	july_wind_low.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	555.3 KB 
ID:	133006

There is a ton more data that is generated, and I have monthly data for all of these. The atmospheric model is actually 10 layers so there are 10 layers of winds, I'm just showing the highest and lowest layers here. Once the climate simulation has reached a nice equilibrium, I will be generating climate maps from this data.

This is spectacular! I love the shape of your continents. And the map(s) are gorgeous already.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast