Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Argentia Topographica | The World of Naos

That world map looks great! was the terrain done using the technique described on your blog, i.e. cutting and pasting bits of real world terrain data, or was it generated somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by HeRocksInALab View Post
    That world map looks great! was the terrain done using the technique described on your blog, i.e. cutting and pasting bits of real world terrain data, or was it generated somehow?
    Yes, the topography for this world uses a technique similar to the one outlined in my blog, albeit with some new techniques for generating better coastlines that flow better with the terrain. I do run parts of the heightmap through World Machine and Wilbur for tweaks and making sure the terrain is hydrologically sound (rivers flow to the ocean), but 98% of the look is from real-world terrain.

Finally to the point where I am mostly happy with the climate zones generated from the simulations!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	climate_zones.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	133060

Were those climates entirely generated by ExoPlaSim, or were there hand tweaks involved, too? Wondering because there are some funny bits in there--like the hot desert at ~45 N on the northeast continent but then tundra at 50 N on the next door crescent-shaped island; the low-altitude tundra on the big central continent that is equatorward of 45 S--that seem like the model might be missing something important.

In any case, still very cool, and impressive for a simulator!

Quote Originally Posted by MrBragg View Post
    Were those climates entirely generated by ExoPlaSim, or were there hand tweaks involved, too? Wondering because there are some funny bits in there--like the hot desert at ~45 N on the northeast continent but then tundra at 50 N on the next door crescent-shaped island; the low-altitude tundra on the big central continent that is equatorward of 45 S--that seem like the model might be missing something important.

In any case, still very cool, and impressive for a simulator!
    I'll be the first to admit I'm the furthest thing from a climate expert (hence why I'm trying to get tools to generate things for me).

Technically, the climate zones themselves aren't generated by ExoPlaSim; the tool simulates climate and exports monthly/yearly data on precipitation, surface temperature, air pressure, and a ton of other data. So technically, from the perspective of the data generated, the climates are exactly within the definitions set by the koppen system. The tutorial from Worldbuilding Pasta that I followed also provided a python script to interpret the data and generate the climate zones, which also includes some methods of interpolation to add more detail to the final output, as explained in his tutorial. This includes interpolation of the base data as well as elevation-based adjustments using a high resolution DEM. My final climate map used both of these options.

The resolution that the simulation runs at is certainly a limited factor here, I'm creating a lot of data out of thin air via heavy interpolation---the simulation ran at a mere 64x128. There is also the major limitation of the model in that in does not simulate actual ocean currents (it uses a simpler slab model).

The raw koppen intepretation without any interpolation is this:

Name:  output.png
Views: 235
Size:  3.2 KB

So, any oddities are probably a combination of any number of the above limitations.

That said, if you'll allow me to make some highly uneducated guesses/observations while referencing the data maps I posted on a previous page:

- There is a massive low pressure system that forms around the Himalaya-esque mountains on the North-Eastern continent, as well as very warm temperatures all year long. I imagine that has something to do with the major desert climate.
    - Not sure about the low altitude tundra north of 45S. My guess is this has something to do with the lack of ocean currents being modelled? The global mean temperature of my world is a few degrees colder than earth too---about 13.8°C. That might contribute as well?

Ultimately it's a fantasy world and IMO easy enough to chalk up differences to earth climate to a number of completely unforeseeable differences to our own world (although I did model this simulation based off of Earthlike parameters) and still maintain a sense of verisimilitude. Either way, I would love to hear your thoughts on what could be improved.
    Last edited by morne; 03-17-2022 at 09:13 PM.

Decided to make a few manual tweaks to the climates, mostly taming the Tundra back a little bit in places that would probably be kept warmer through ocean currents.

Name:	climate_zones.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	133063

I'm pretty happy with where my climate pages are at now! I think I still need maps for annual precipitation and evaporation, but I need to figure out how to calculate that data from the netCDF4 files before I can make those.

Name:	atmospheric_pressure_and_isotherms copy.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	133065

Name:	climate_zones copy.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	133066

First off let me just say sorry if that last comment came off as too nitpicky; these all look really nice and I don't want to diminish all the work that went into these and how nice of a presentation it is. The lack of ocean currents in the model sounds entirely plausible as a source of some of the interesting climate placements, and your hand modifications have definitely made the tundra locations seem better. Very nice

I'm very interested in trying this simulation myself, but I'm missing about 6.5 out of 7 continents worth of heightmap, so maybe someday...

Quote Originally Posted by MrBragg View Post
    First off let me just say sorry if that last comment came off as too nitpicky; these all look really nice and I don't want to diminish all the work that went into these and how nice of a presentation it is. The lack of ocean currents in the model sounds entirely plausible as a source of some of the interesting climate placements, and your hand modifications have definitely made the tundra locations seem better. Very nice

I'm very interested in trying this simulation myself, but I'm missing about 6.5 out of 7 continents worth of heightmap, so maybe someday...
    No of course not! I very much appreciate all constructive criticism—anything that will improve my maps. Glad to hear my tweaks made things better

I know the feel of "someday"... Sometimes I wonder how many countless hours I've spent not writing and instead making maps.

Well, I've decided to rework my climate maps because I changed the topography a little bit, but in the mean time I've started working on the World-Physical map, which will detail all the physical features of the world at a global scale.

Name:	global_physical.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	9.26 MB 
ID:	133133

Still need to finish up the bathymetry and add it here, as well as major rivers and lakes, and a fair bit of labelling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123