Thread: WotC pulls PDFs...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sadly, I don't find this at all surprising. And, to be perfectly honest, I've never much cared for WoTC. I can't count the number of times a good gaming session went bad because somebody brought a card game to a role playing table. All that aside, however, I have to agree with what others have said, it's probably the corporate bean counters that are truly behind this. I see it all the time at work. Most of them just don't have a clue about customer service at all. The only thing most of them see is a bunch of numbers, and if those numbers don't look right, they over react.

Ah well. Live and learn, I suppose. Hopefully this whole situation will, eventually, blow over and everyone can get back to gaming without worrying about whether or not they are violating some sort of copyright law.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

"What Does It Mean To Be An Industry Leader?" - Good blog about WOTC from an author and former WOTC employee Stan!.

http://stannex.livejournal.com/161242.html

Blog Entries

Good link that and I agree 100%. They have been dragging their heels over the internet and digital age in general to the point where a number of us couldn't wait for them any longer, got off our asses and started coding it all up ourselves. This whole website ought to be under the wotc flag but its nowhere near. This bottom line mentality affects much more than wotc and roleplaying tho. Its pervasive and its killing off whole sections of good stuff. LotR, Harry Potter and Linux are all excellent examples of people doing it for themselves without Hollywood or a standard book publisher and cleaning up. Hollywood's in a similar position where in a number of years you will go and see their films during the in-between times whilst we wait for a 'proper' movie to come out. All down to bottom line bean counting.

For those who are interested, White Wolf is also responding to Wizards' unwise move by releasing the Exalted 2nd Edition rulebook for free on drivethrurpg.com. I imagine that's a limited-time offer, so snap it up while it's there!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name