Hi Tiluchi,

I absolutely love tinkering with planets that are moons of gas giants in a star's habitable zone. In my previous project, I opted for a brown dwarf as I wanted some extra heating on the tidally locked side, just to make things interesting. The only problems I ran into were extreme tidal bulges even at more distant separations and larger massed jovians, which I used to my advantage. For example, with a 500 earth-mass jovian at a separation of 330,000 km from an earth mass planet, you'll get a 24-hour revolution period. This arrangement, however, will also give you a 50 km tidal bulge at the equator (provided adequate water depth) and an unavoidable tidal lock. I believe you can circumvent the tidal lock without magic, however. All you have to do is set the separation at 14,000,000 km, which will give you earthlike tides and not tidal lock for several billions of years. I have a rough spreadsheet to estimate values but it relies on approximations. As for climatic effects, the only thing you should be concerned about is a jovian's intense radiation belts, which would require plenty of protection in terms of magnetic field, rotation, or a dense atmosphere. To be honest, I'm not certain if I met these specifications on my last project, Kaunis.