Thread: Rheia: one final try at ground-up worldbuilding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tiluchi View Post
    I should have known that someone would have gotten there first! ;-) Do you happen to have a link for it? I wasn't able to find anything by searching Google or Reddit.
    Here you go. This link should last 7 days I think. https://discord.gg/2haP93es

Quote Originally Posted by WoodytheClimateGuy View Post
    Nice dude. So, how did figure out how the pressure zones worked? Like, how did you figure out the locations and strengths of them?
    Honestly it was mostly looking at the images of Earth's January and July pressure systems that Nikolai posted on the climate tutorial, along with the guidelines in the Pasta and Azelor tutorials. Since I'm pretty familiar with my world's topography at this point, I can guess at what seems to drive high and low pressure systems, and go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodytheClimateGuy View Post
    One question here. How did you move the mid-ocean ridges for the new oceanic plate? Do they have their own plate ID, or are they Half-Stage Rotations?
    Yup, half-stage rotations, I think I just used the technique that's in the Pasta GPlates tutorial. The mid-ocean ridges were easy, what was a pain in the behind were the flowlines, which seem to shift away from their initial positions at random with no rhyme or reason. Annoyingly enough still necessary for guiding plate motion and figuring out ocean crust, but I'm glad not to have to repeat that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    Here you go. This link should last 7 days I think. https://discord.gg/2haP93es
    Thanks Turambar! Just joined, looks like a great community.

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Yup, half-stage rotations, I think I just used the technique that's in the Pasta GPlates tutorial. The mid-ocean ridges were easy, what was a pain in the behind were the flowlines, which seem to shift away from their initial positions at random with no rhyme or reason. Annoyingly enough still necessary for guiding plate motion and figuring out ocean crust, but I'm glad not to have to repeat that again.
    If it's a half-stage rotation, then what the two Plate IDs that control the rotation?

In addition, how do you import your mountains into Wilbur (which I'm assuming is the reason why they're so detailed)? I use Adobe Illustrator to make my mountains, so is there a method to this?

Steaming right along, I've got first drafts of the temperature maps for January and July, mostly based on the Azelor tutorial. The Pasta tutorial mostly uses input from ClimaSim (or in later iterations ExoPlaSim), which as has been discussed here and on other threads seems to get some important things wrong with regards to temperature, particularly on large continents and in polar regions. MrBragg has kindly agreed to run my maps through ExoPlaSim however (thanks again mate!), so it will be interesting to see how the outputs compare. I figure the final maps I input into the Gimp script will be some combination of the map done by hand and whatever ExoPlaSim spits out.

Attaching here the temperature maps for January and July, as well as the temperature zones à la the Azelor tutorial in case that's useful. Also attaching a greyscale image for MrBragg as apparently sending images over DM is difficult...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rheia_january_temperatures.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	134862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rheia_july_temperatures.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	134863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rheia_january_temperaturezones.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	134864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rheia_july_temperaturezones.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	134865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rheia_greyscale_small.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	134866

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Steaming right along, I've got first drafts of the temperature maps for January and July, mostly based on the Azelor tutorial. The Pasta tutorial mostly uses input from ClimaSim (or in later iterations ExoPlaSim), which as has been discussed here and on other threads seems to get some important things wrong with regards to temperature, particularly on large continents and in polar regions. MrBragg has kindly agreed to run my maps through ExoPlaSim however (thanks again mate!), so it will be interesting to see how the outputs compare. I figure the final maps I input into the Gimp script will be some combination of the map done by hand and whatever ExoPlaSim spits out.

Attaching here the temperature maps for January and July, as well as the temperature zones à la the Azelor tutorial in case that's useful. Also attaching a greyscale image for MrBragg as apparently sending images over DM is difficult...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rheia_january_temperatures.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	134862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rheia_july_temperatures.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	134863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rheia_january_temperaturezones.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	134864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rheia_july_temperaturezones.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	134865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rheia_greyscale_small.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	134866
    I have a question here; what is your method of making the temperatures? What is your process? I'm have a really hard time understanding Azelor's tutorial.