Thread: Planetary Number-Cruncher

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Planetary Number-Cruncher

When I was beginning work on the climate portions of my world map of Geidor, I needed to convert latitudes into pixel heights to figure out where to lay my guidelines in Photoshop, and grew quickly tired of the mental contortions from crunching every number by hand, so I made this.

Attached is an Excel spreadsheet that can calculate those latitude heights for given map dimensions and planetary axial tilt. I'm not 100% sure my numbers are right, but they appear to be close enough for a ballpark for the few axial tilts I checked. It definitely appears to be reasonably correct for axial tilt of 23.5, or that of Earth.

If anyone would like to refine my math to allow a wider range of axial tilts, please feel free to do so. My mind is still a little contorted because of all the dead ends I went down with this, due to being tired when I made it.

My math is actually based almost entirely on observations of the approximate corresponding latitude lines for Earth, so that is likely why it works best for 23.5.

-asp
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by altasilvapuer; 04-08-2009 at 04:58 PM.