Quote Originally Posted by isomage View Post
For image height 3300 and axial tilt 22.5 (the default parameters in the spreadsheet), I get y coordinates of 2887, 2062, 1237, 412; these are different from the values calculated by the spreadsheet.

Just to verify, 67.5 degrees is (90 + 67.5) / 180 = 87.5% of the total height, and 3300 * 0.875 = 2887.5.
I should rephrase, then, apparently: that's the pattern I caught in my head and attempted to use. My brain was so discombobulated from the many failed calculations before noticing the relationships to the axial tilt (I noticed that of the tropics almost immediately, but the arctic circles came much later) that I probably over complicated things. I'll mess around and update it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
I'm attaching the spreadsheets (Excel 2007 format) that I was fiddling with a while back.

They're for generating planets with realistic details based on random star generation, planet size, and distance etc.

Feel free to take anything you can from them...

I had it setup, if memory serves, to randomly generate a few hundred thousand stars, and 500000 planets to orbit those random stars at random distances etc....I just deleted all but the first 10 generations though (it was just a copy paste of each row I think) so that the file was actually small enough to fit on here).

I also tossed in, for good measure, a rough invention time-line based on wikipaedia. Dates, though, were in the process of being tweaked for my own planet....but what the hey - perhaps it's useful.
They sound amazing! Perhaps we can form some combination of the two? I definitely think I am going to have to download OpenOffice, already. I extremely dislike the new Microsoft Office, so I'm still using 2000. I used have a copy of 2003 around here somewhere that I preferred, but it is AWOL, so oh well. I'll grab OO, poke around in your file, and see what might be useful to merge.