Thread: Cities and States inspired by South Asia- an incomplete worldbuilding project

Default Cities and States inspired by South Asia- an incomplete worldbuilding project

This story begins in 1990.

My aunt returned from a 6 month trip to Pakistan and India (she was a missionary nurse in Baltistan, Kashmir) and I remember her slide show carousel of photos from all over, a few sound effects like the blaring Muezzin at sunrise and such vivid colours projected onto my grandparent’s living room wall.

To say the least, she was the one that brought me to India (18 years ago) on a journey that marked my life ever since. This series of maps began in fall of 2020 with a 25 cent map of Pakistan I picked up at the thrift store and took on a life of its own.

Midnapore is inspired by Chennai (Madras) and Bangalore (Bengaluru), it is the the state of Narashtram. Merku Multanam is my likeness of Dhaka (Bangladesh), capital of Goppanadi. and Mayapur is my take on Karachi, commercial hub of Safedsher. There is also an inset map of Aqsidine (Al-Aqsidin), the Safedsheri capital entirely based on Islamabad. I wanted to recreate places filled with memories of train trips across india with just the right touch of real-world geopolitics. In this scenario all 3 nations fight for the Kailash, a disputed territory at the top of the world which is also the source of water for each nation's sacred river mirroring the conflict in present-day south Asia.

I also added a small French overseas possession called Sri Mahalaxmi meant to resemble Pondichéry

I put a bit of thought into Mayapur and wrote a small travel guide too:

From the official travel guide:
    Mayapur is a loud place, with the buzz of dangling wires and endless 2-stroke engines competing with street hawkers and calls of Muezzin in this torrent of humanity. The city is not very well travelled and foreign visitors are met with curiosity and by the locals.
    Getting there:
    Mayapur Airport (SJT International) is located 15 km West of the city. You must spend 15 days in quarantine island upon arrival. Modest food and accommodations are provided by the government (wifi is extra T400 per day). If you desire private quarters, these can be arranged for T2000 per night (2020 rate, inquire locally).
    Be sure to change money at Thomas Cook kiosk at the airport, bank hours are limited and ATMs are not common nor are foreign credit cards accepted due to financial embargos on the Safedsheri regime.
    Street food-
    Roti Aloo- Short for double-roti Aloo, a grilled sandwich made with 2 slices of square English bread stuffed with a potato and cabbage curry well-seasoned with chili, onion and mustard. A classic accompaniment as popularized at the Mayapur Lion Hunt and Polo Club (former) is tinned tomato soup.
    Grilled fish- the beach beside the old town is lined with fishing boats (small canoes typically) and every 50-100m, a man is tending to a charcoal grill. King mackerel marinated in lime juice, salt and chili is the most popular, served with rice and a loose lentil curry on a steel plate.
    Kheema Matar- minced lamb and pea curry, with rice or toast is a popular meal to take in the mid-morning after prayers.
    Tea- “nothing gets done before the 3rd cup of tea” – Mayapuri proverb
    Religion-
    Islam is the only official creed, however other confessions may gather and worship privately. The historic past religions (Hinduism and Scottish-influenced Catholicism) have a limited presence. Alchohol, pork and other haram practices are banned entirely in Safedsher.
    Sport-
    Cricket is the only game in town. Mayapur Marauders play in the top division SPL (Southasian Premier League). If there is an empty field to be found, some kids are probably playing cricket on it.
    Nightlife
    Pizza parlours, video arcades and chess halls with tea and glass pipes are about the only options. The Sofitel will sometimes have an expatriate pool party and movie night- beer is sometimes found at clandestine barbecues in the compound of the Australian High Commission, though the parties are not officially sanctioned.

You can imagine I made the most of my spare hours during the covid times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mayapur (1).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	133850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midnapore (1).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	133851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merku multanam.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	133852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sri Minakshi.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	133853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safedsher.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	133854  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Souther Attraxia.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	133855