Thread: July 2022 Challenge: Polylithic Monument

Default July 2022 Challenge: Polylithic Monument

It's been long enough since I took up a Guild Challenge. This was what I found upon opening the generator:

1. An adventurer's room at the Pilgrim and Flagon inn, in a nearby city.
    2. A dark passage on the 7th level of the Lost Crypts of Necromancy. Withered corpses are nailed to the corridor walls.
    3. At the edge of a fiery crater amidst towering peaks. A raiding party of orcs makes its way along a treacherous path.
    4. An outcrop of hewn stone in the Moonstone Mountains. A lone wizard sits upon a rock, smoking his pipe.
    5. A garden in Repool Keep, in a nearby kingdom.
    6. A torchlit corridor on the 9th level of the Halls of Aphotic Annihilation. Someone has scrawled "Death comes on silent wings" here.
    7. Katib, a heavenly world of emerald hills and verdant glens, beneath an iridescent sky. The world is the domain of Baryan, a deity of beauty, and is populated by metallic dragons. The denizens of Katib are at war with invading demons.
    8. A dark vault on the 4th level of the Lost Undercrypt of Vepha. A horde of savage goblins dwells here.
    9. Adyar, a ruined plane of jagged peaks and poisoned seas, beneath a sky of eternal darkness. The plane is primarily populated by demons.
    10. A dark corridor on the 4th level of the Hive of Emirkol the Chaotic. Skeletons hang from chains and manacles against the walls.
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 seem a little too small to me. I mean, I could map out the whole of the Pilgrim and Flagon Inn, but is that really mapping a particular room. Eh. I kind of would it specified if we use this generator again that you can throw up a list of just one type of location, so you could get a bunch of random ideas in an area that appeals to you. While I don't especially have a strong preference to world/plane maps, I find those by far the most inspirational of the places that this generator creates. With ten of those, I'm sure I'd have found something that grabbed me, in spite of the overuse of dragons and demons.
    Anyway, 6 and 8 would be a decent grounding for a dungeon map, but I'm not really looking to do one of those at the moment. 7 and 9 are okay, though kind of make my point about the dragons and demons obsession of the generator. I decided to use my one reroll and got:

1. A garden in the dwarven castle of Ceolwy's Delve, in a nearby realm.
    2. A merchant's room at the Broken Shield inn, in the city of Cheadale, in a nearby kingdom.
    3. Londone, an aerial plane of silver skies and wispy clouds. The plane is sparsely populated by storm giants.
    4. Imralon, an ancient realm of labyrinthine vaults and chambers filled with ghostly wailing. The realm is populated by living clockwork suits of armor.
    5. A small vault on the 7th level of the Secret Barrow of the Shadow Duke. A faded and torn tapestry hangs from the north wall.
    6. Somewhere amidst a verdant forest. Sunlight filters through the trees and falls upon a circle of standing stones.
    7. Ladressea, an ancient plane of shadowed canyons, deep lakes, and azure oceans. The plane is primarily populated by humans, with smaller numbers of other races.
    8. A fiery vault on the 6th level of the Catacombs of Lisa the Arcane.
    9. A small vault on the 3rd level of the Labyrinth of Demonic Secrets. A swarm of giant spiders searches through a pile of debris.
    10. A torchlit corridor on the 10th level of the Caverns of Sadya the Treacherous. The walls here have been engraved with strange runes.
    Londone, Imralon, and Ladressea all are decent ideas to get a setting started, but none really sings to me. Items 2, 5, 8, 9, and 10 were all rather mundane rooms that would have to be greatly expanded upon to have a real idea of what I'd be mapping. The garden was certainly a possibility, item 6 is something I might actually have a practical use for, so I'll be mapping a circle of standing stones. In the middle of a forest.

Well, nope. I'm just not going to get the time or energy to map for awhile.

No entry for me.

Well, nope. I'm just not going to get the time or energy to map for awhile.

No entry for me.

Yeah, I'm kinda in that boat too, which is too bad, I had a prompt I realllllllllly liked. Might do it later on just for funsies.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!