Thanks for the tips, Gamerprinter. I am just starting out, and doing it the crumbly ancient parchment look was one of the few ways I knew how to do it. I'm at the point where I'm able to venture a little bit away from tutorials and try things on my own... but not terribly past that.

A way to justify it in game, perhaps flimsily, is that Antiquities Inc. is not a terribly successful business (at least, before the game began). I can see them only having a old map pinned up on the bulletin board. Held down with a couple rusty thumb tacks, dog-eared and torn with coffee stains on it. But maybe that's just me. In any case, the GM liked it, though I do not think he was terribly picky about what I gave him.

As for the longitude, etc, I really wasn't sure if I wanted to include that, in fear of cluttering the map, what with the travel lines and whatnot. I suppose I could have made it a really subtle tone that was only visible if that's what you were looking to see, something that could be mellow in the background, but oh well.

Also, for the record, there is a compass rose on there... part of it just got torn off.