Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Argontath - Work in Progress

Papyrus is a good font, but those who say it is overused have a point. I say if it fits the map, use it, but don't make it your default choice. I don't think it fits this style terribly well. I think what would be (a) good font choice(s) will depend in part on the symbols you use for cities and such, so that the font goes well with them.

I agree. Papyrus is suitable for a hand-drawn pirate map style. This satellite-like style asks for something less ragged. The Celtic section at DaFont is usually a good first stop for fantasy map fonts.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You could also look for a font called "Caribbean" - it looks kind of 'pirate-y'
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well... of the the 9 countries on the eastern continent, I have 6 1/2 finished. Here is a little looksie at the Bandit Kingdoms and the surrounding territory.

Just a small key for you:
    Capitol = Big purple flowery icon
    City = Large white dot with dark gray middle
    Fortress = Large white dot with orange middle
    Town = Small white dot
    Ruins = Small light red dot
    Ancient Place of Power = Small light blue dot

Towns with the word 'Cor-' indicate a port city that has been blessed by the priesthood of Manetoaka (Lord of the Waters)
    Fortresses begin with a 'Khol-' indicating they were blessed by the Voltarian Priesthood (Lord of War)
    Ruins begin with the word 'Tor-'

The font I used is called Sakkal Majalla. I am happy with the font but am trying to work around the color scheme with the surrounding landscape.

Enjoy!

~Val

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cities.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	27699
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Argontath Map Finished Thread

My Flash Website! - Welcome to Argontath

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The font is very readable - though the black text is a bit difficult to read - needs a slight glow and/or stroke around it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I had some time to think about things the last few days... I created hastily sewn together world map and was unhappy with the results. I had created preliminaries of the continents to experiment with the rivers, cities, fonts, etc... until I put together the final draft of the world map. I decided on a 7500x5000 map size so as to include all the continents and increase detail. I am to the point now of placing rivers... this should prove to be quite tedious and time consuming, but it is a labor of love! heheheh

Here it is submitted for your approval....

Name:	World of Argontath.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	27812

Thanks Ascension!

~Val

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those are some nice continents. As for rivers, just put a few major ones on each continent or you could easily get burned out.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

Zoomed out, the map looks really busy, but looks very sweet when you zoom in...are you taking zoomed in parts of the world map to create your region maps? I ask because I am attempting to do just that...but my map size is 4000x2000 atm and I don't think my coast lines look crisp enough zoomed in that far.

Also I think that putting a thin stroke of light blue around the land layer would look pretty good...at least that's what I've done with a map or two of my test maps with good looking results.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

It does look too busy doesn't it? lol I think when you see it as a 'thumbnail' it is at around 12% of the total size... it really compresses everything. As for the regional maps.... I am still trying to figure this out. I want to 'cut-out' each country and enlarge it to put some better detail into it, but at this point, I am just going to save a copy of the map at the border creation process. I did place a blue aura about the map, but I think it needs to be intensified a bit to see it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by cjs0216 View Post
    Zoomed out, the map looks really busy, but looks very sweet when you zoom in...are you taking zoomed in parts of the world map to create your region maps? I ask because I am attempting to do just that...but my map size is 4000x2000 atm and I don't think my coast lines look crisp enough zoomed in that far.

Also I think that putting a thin stroke of light blue around the land layer would look pretty good...at least that's what I've done with a map or two of my test maps with good looking results.

Default River Police Wanted

I need the river police! I am hoping I haven't murdered the river system too bad. lol

I've placed the areas where the major rivers will be (may end up deleting some) and splotched an area red on the northern end of one of the continents. The red area is to be ignored... this area is a god-created sanctuary of the inhabitants of this particular part of the world.

I appreciate any eyes that would be able to help point out problems.

Thanks!

~Val

Name:	Argontath - Rivers.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	27819

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast