Thread: Trans-manitoba Canoe Trip - Commission

Map Trans-manitoba Canoe Trip - Commission

Another long time no post, been busy working full time and also working on commissions (which I can't share just yet)

This one was a commission a long time in the making, over the course of 5 months of various revisions. The client had been on a long canoe trip across the length of Manitoba, Canada, back in 1993 and wanted a large poster to commemorate the trip including a route map and their original journal notes.

Now this map is absolutely huge, printed at a whopping 71" by 48" on acrylic. The attached map is 25% of fullsize so that it would let me upload it so I've included some details too. Part of the brief was to include some small animals so future kids at the centre where it will be displayed can have a little treasure hunt for them all. This is yet another map of mine depicting a real place and given the size of this I turned to GIS maps and did quite a bit of research to ensure forest and biome placements were as accurate as I could.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Transmanitoba_FINAL_Artstation.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	8.76 MB 
ID:	136064

Name:	Transmanitoba_FINAL_ArtstationDetails.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	136065

And here are a couple of bonus photos of it out of the printer:

Name:	IMG_3276.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	136066

Name:	IMG_3278.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	136067
    Last edited by Ifrix; 07-17-2023 at 03:25 AM.

Wow! This a great work!
    View my website and Instagram

How KaiAeon somehow managed to post a comment to the thread *before* the thread was created I have no idea, but the map is impressive nonetheless! And huge is right, I felt bad for your PC when watching this come together...
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    How KaiAeon somehow managed to post a comment to the thread *before* the thread was created I have no idea, but the map is impressive nonetheless! And huge is right, I felt bad for your PC when watching this come together...
    Yeah, I think time travel might have just been discovered, and the proof is here. Is the secret to bending space and time making a map that's way too big...?!

The map is lovely, the notes are great, although I'm a little salty that a map about a journey in Manitoba, that seems to be for installation in Manitoba, didn't have a Manitoban artist commissioned to do it. There are at least two of us on the guild!

Did you do the acrylic print yourself, Ifrix? Definitely interested in accessing that service.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Yeah not sure what happened there, my internet did stutter a little when I tried to preview post so maybe it was something to do with that?
    Edited the post time so it appears above Kai's (honestly that could be the reason why too, I might have accidentally clicked something - CLs get access to more post options that I'm not used to)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    The map is lovely, the notes are great, although I'm a little salty that a map about a journey in Manitoba, that seems to be for installation in Manitoba, didn't have a Manitoban artist commissioned to do it. There are at least two of us on the guild!
    Haha, yeah that would have been ideal (and required less research). I actually had done a previous map for the client before which is why he reached back out to me, and he liked a particular style of mine.

As for the acrylic print, I'm in the UK so I sent the files over and he got it printed over in the US - I believe from a company called Artmill in Chicago
    Last edited by Ifrix; 07-17-2023 at 03:26 AM.

Dang, I should have screenshotted the time travelling post before you changed it, haha.

I already knew how to use GIS, so possibly less research, but it's good you learned how to use it and it's good your client returned for more work from you, that's always a good sign!

I hope you were paid handsomely for that Covid map, that was a BEAST of data points.

Edit: Thanks for the link, Artmill might be perfect for me to get my Almaera star map printed. We'll see!
    Last edited by Tiana; 07-17-2023 at 02:45 PM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!