Thread: Advanced Base

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the feedback - and the rep.

Like a mobile home/RV, the settee can be opened into a double bed. This unit isn't designed for home comforts, it's one step up from a pressure tent.

I hadn't envisaged a shift pattern; that might require a re-think, though thinking as I type, whilst you have a point about disturbed sleep, I'm not sure that that problem can be solved by rearranging a 6m x 6m space - it's gonna be noisy, get used to it. I imagine opening and closing the hatch would reverberate throughout the structure. PS my missus thinks reducing the size of the kitchen is a bad idea.

The bunks could be placed side by side where the coffee pot is, and the whole kitchen moved up, but I imagine the airlock recycling would create a disturbance too. I pictured the airlock as the main thoroughfare, with the hatch only coming into play for emergencies or if there is another unit connected.

As you say, other accommodation types are available and an extended base would have zoning to make life more comfortable. I may draw more later. This beast just puts your typical party of travellers on a planet surface where the GM can do nasty things to them... er, I mean provide them with interesting adventures.

I haven't learned how to change colours yet and this is the beginning of my meagre collection of 'modern' elements. The steel table is the only thing I have at present that resembles a kitchen top, I don't have the skill to crop it without it looking a mess, and if I scale it, it will be too narrow. The floor was a choice between steel plate, wooden planks or stone paving, and the brown unit in the kitchen is a fridge. The other two 'fridges' are the engineering devices, but I only have the one 'big box' element. Making one white and two blue would help, but...

The only things I made from scratch are the cooker, the shower and the hazard strip, using Gimp. The rest are just downloaded elements arranged in Viewingdale.

Redrobes, if you're lurking, the hazard strip is 50% transparent to let the treadplate pattern through and consequently it floats above everything. How do I nail it to the floor?
    (the treadplate pattern hasn't jpegged very well, but it looks fine on the original).

If anyone has links to top-down home design elements free for personal and map display use, I'd be much obliged - a proper sink/drainer and a bath are top of my hit list.
    Last edited by icosahedron; 04-16-2009 at 05:58 AM.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.