Thread: Moronobu Gansai: A Free 17th Century Cartography Brush Set (Over 1140 brushes!)

Link Moronobu Gansai: A Free 17th Century Cartography Brush Set (Over 1140 brushes!)

Hey everyone. I hope all your map-making projects are going well. Been really enjoying what I have seen shared over the last few months.

I have some new free assets for you.

Today, I am releasing Moronobu Gansai, the first in a planned duo by the same creator. This set is based on 東海道分間絵図 or Map of the Tōkaidō, a 17th-century watercolor map painted enormous scrolls by Hishikawa Moronobu.

This is my most extensive set to date, with over 1140 free brushes! These are still symbol-based but with a more painterly approach that allows for work that feels more like picturesque landscapes than the traditional pen-and-ink hill-profile approach common to many historic European maps. The history of the Tōkaidō is fascinating, and you'll find a lot of unique objects specific to this route. It's perfect if you want to create something that evokes an elegant Edo-Period style.

Moronobu Gansai is my first set to launch with a separate pack of individual PNGs organized by folders the same way I organize the ABR files. This should make using these with tools like Wonderdraft much more manageable; no more extracting symbols from an enormous PNG!

You can read more about Moronobu Gansai and download the set on my blog.

Some of the symbols:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moronobu-gansai-sampler-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	559.6 KB 
ID:	136323

Name:	moronobu-gansai-sampler-2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	549.6 KB 
ID:	136324

Name:	moronobu-gansai-sampler-3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	554.4 KB 
ID:	136325

Moronobu Gansai in use:

Name:	moronobugansai_samplemap_SML.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	136326

(A higher res version is available on my site.)

These are gorgeous! It's fantastic to see brushes in a quite different style from most of what's out there, and I'm sure many people will enjoy using them.

I'm sure I've said this in the past, but I really admire you for taking the time to make these wonderful brushes and offering them freely for others to use!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks! These are fun to put together, and it's a good way to keep history alive. Finding unique and different approaches to map making is part of the fun.