Hey everyone. I hope all your map-making projects are going well. Been really enjoying what I have seen shared over the last few months.

I have some new free assets for you.

Today, I am releasing Moronobu Gansai, the first in a planned duo by the same creator. This set is based on 東海道分間絵図 or Map of the Tōkaidō, a 17th-century watercolor map painted enormous scrolls by Hishikawa Moronobu.

This is my most extensive set to date, with over 1140 free brushes! These are still symbol-based but with a more painterly approach that allows for work that feels more like picturesque landscapes than the traditional pen-and-ink hill-profile approach common to many historic European maps. The history of the Tōkaidō is fascinating, and you'll find a lot of unique objects specific to this route. It's perfect if you want to create something that evokes an elegant Edo-Period style.

Moronobu Gansai is my first set to launch with a separate pack of individual PNGs organized by folders the same way I organize the ABR files. This should make using these with tools like Wonderdraft much more manageable; no more extracting symbols from an enormous PNG!

You can read more about Moronobu Gansai and download the set on my blog.

Some of the symbols:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moronobu-gansai-sampler-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	559.6 KB 
ID:	136323

Name:	moronobu-gansai-sampler-2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	549.6 KB 
ID:	136324

Name:	moronobu-gansai-sampler-3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	554.4 KB 
ID:	136325

Moronobu Gansai in use:

Name:	moronobugansai_samplemap_SML.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	136326

(A higher res version is available on my site.)