Thread: Commission - Multiple Maps for Fantasy Novel

Map Commission - Multiple Maps for Fantasy Novel

About Me and the Project:
    Greetings! I am very excited to be making the post, FINALLY.

I am seeking a cartographer to create 3 maps at this time for a fantasy book I have written. The first draft is complete at 145k words and has been sent off to Beta Readers as I begin my edits – of which there are numerous. In writing the book, I immediately recognized the need for a map of the world I had created as it is vast and I labeled more places than I originally planned. World-building can be an adventure.

My name is Aimee, though I am likely to create a pseudonym for the series as my real name is not particularly alliterative. I have a STRONG background in both Geology and Geographic Information Systems/Sciences (BS and MS, respectively), so do not be afraid to ask technical questions. I know how to read all kinds of maps and would be tickled pink to work with someone who would love to create a “real-world” style map for this project, though I am VERY MUCH open to the fantasy style as well, knowing that map accuracies aren’t a common concern for most readers of the genre.
    And that’s okay!

Know that in creating this world, I attempted to make it as geologically sound as possible. Thus, the topology and geography will reflect that.
    If you are up for this kind of challenge, I would love to hear from you! Specifics of the project can be found below.

Subject of Map(s)
    • 3 maps in total
    o World Map, including country names and capital cities
    o 2 Maps of countries currently the book's subject, including more details of smaller cities, forts, important locationsÂ… etc.
    • The purpose of these maps is to aid readers in the understanding of this world

Styles I Love
    • Fantasy
    • Historical
    • Modern (to-scale)

Quality & Size
    • Professional
    • Black & White
    • Required for print in Paperback and eBook
    • Vector preferred, Raster OK

As much as I would LOVE colored maps, they do not make sense for printing and ebooks.

Budget
    up to $1k for all three, to be paid as a deposit at the start of each map, and the final payment sent upon completion.
    Ex: Map #1 Cost $340, Initial deposit $100 - $170, final amount ($240 - $170) paid upon delivery.
    I am located within the US, have Google Pay and Venmo

Time Constraints
    End of January 2024 - this is when the second draft should be completed at the final form will be sent to Beta Readers

Copyright
    I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes. The artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Contact Details
    I am new, so I do not have enough posts to receive PMs. Please reach out to me through my personal email:
    aimee.keener - at - gmail.com

Hi, i sent you an email. We can talk about it, but i would like to see some example to understand better your need!

Quote Originally Posted by rad465 View Post
    About Me and the Project:
    Greetings! I am very excited to be making the post, FINALLY.

I am seeking a cartographer to create 3 maps at this time for a fantasy book I have written. The first draft is complete at 145k words and has been sent off to Beta Readers as I begin my edits – of which there are numerous. In writing the book, I immediately recognized the need for a map of the world I had created as it is vast and I labeled more places than I originally planned. World-building can be an adventure.

My name is Aimee, though I am likely to create a pseudonym for the series as my real name is not particularly alliterative. I have a STRONG background in both Geology and Geographic Information Systems/Sciences (BS and MS, respectively), so do not be afraid to ask technical questions. I know how to read all kinds of maps and would be tickled pink to work with someone who would love to create a “real-world” style map for this project, though I am VERY MUCH open to the fantasy style as well, knowing that map accuracies aren’t a common concern for most readers of the genre.
    And that’s okay!

Know that in creating this world, I attempted to make it as geologically sound as possible. Thus, the topology and geography will reflect that.
    If you are up for this kind of challenge, I would love to hear from you! Specifics of the project can be found below.

Subject of Map(s)
    • 3 maps in total
    o World Map, including country names and capital cities
    o 2 Maps of countries currently the book's subject, including more details of smaller cities, forts, important locationsÂ… etc.
    • The purpose of these maps is to aid readers in the understanding of this world

Styles I Love
    • Fantasy
    • Historical
    • Modern (to-scale)

Quality & Size
    • Professional
    • Black & White
    • Required for print in Paperback and eBook
    • Vector preferred, Raster OK

As much as I would LOVE colored maps, they do not make sense for printing and ebooks.

Budget
    up to $1k for all three, to be paid as a deposit at the start of each map, and the final payment sent upon completion.
    Ex: Map #1 Cost $340, Initial deposit $100 - $170, final amount ($240 - $170) paid upon delivery.
    I am located within the US, have Google Pay and Venmo

Time Constraints
    End of January 2024 - this is when the second draft should be completed at the final form will be sent to Beta Readers

Copyright
    I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes. The artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Contact Details
    I am new, so I do not have enough posts to receive PMs. Please reach out to me through my personal email:
    aimee.keener - at - gmail.com
    Hi I specialize in realism maps if you are interested here is my portfolio.
    Sent you a mail.

Thank you everyone! Thw response was more than I could have ever imagined and choosing just one artist was tough! I was excited to be able to reach out to additional artists for projects planned further down the road.

Thank you everyone for your responses! Keep up your amazing art.