Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: City design... in a new way

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Works for me...but I haven't had to time to come up with anything yet.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Consider the sister sites, The Campaign Builders' Guild & Plot Storming. Maybe also look at wherever the world building project is being hosted.

Folding back some of the other projects and\or supporting them would be a bonus in my books. Also give us some instant background to use.

Only a preference, not a requirement by any means.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

I'm all for helping out the other sites, but cbp for one isn't really what i'm looking for. for the unity i want there needs to be one person at the reigns, so everything flows... but thats me

I'll take a look at the others, but I'm looking for more then a forum, i thing some sort of article system is required. I don't know if they offer such...
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

An update from Liram's point of view;

Day 57

Hiram's efforts to catch something with his make-shift fishing line and hook have met with absolutely no success. He did mention, however, seeing something. He wasn't sure what it was, but he was certain that it was rather large and seemed to glow somewhat, even through the murkiness of the water. We'll have to hope that it isn't as hungry as we are.

With another foodless, waterless day behind us, tempers are starting to get short, and I knew it was only going to be a matter of time before a fight broke out. What surprised me most, though, was that it was Old Man Kressel that finally said something. Well, he said several things by the time he was finished, using a lot of language that I don't think Becca had ever heard before. For that matter, there were a few choice words that I hadn't heard before. Most of them were directed at Lieutenant Atwood, and while the rest of us might not have heard some of those words before, Atwood didn't want to hear any of them. When it was all said and done, though, Atwood was a humbled man and Old Man Kressel had taken charge of our little band. It was for the better though.

He turned us into the morning sun and had us rowing east in pairs instead of rowing as individuals. Shorter rowing shifts as well. Everyone except Becca rotated in for some rowing time, even the Lieutenant, but I could see murder in his eyes. He'd given in for now, but once we made landfall, once we joined up with the others, if we ever found them, he'd try to re-establish himself as our leader and probably try to press charges of some sort against the old man.

By mid-day, with Becca serving as our look-out, we finally spotted land. Another three hours of hard rowing had the keel scraping up against the beach. Finally. We've set up a crude campsite and managed a small fire, Hiram's managed to spear a few fish and Old Man Kressel, along with Becca, located a source of semi-fresh water. There's still a strong salty taste to it, but not near as bad as sea-water and, according to the old man, shouldn't hurt us none save to make us dash off to the bushes a little more often than we might normally do. We'll rest tonight and set out in the morning to see if we can find the others.
    P.S. More coming once I clear up a few details

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

good entry.
    so i signed up on campaign builders guild and am prepared to make a wiki... but we need a name, and i really have none specifically for this project... only thing that i can thing of that sounds like some sort of realm name is Magickwell... a realm i attempted (but failed) to create awhile ago. if you have any ideas let me know, but i'd like to get a wiki up asap...

Well I've nixed the idea of campaign builder. I recently re-did my website and have a space set up for my RPing foibles... I believe I will place the info there. I'd use the sister sites if I had a bit more control, but this way i get to do it how I want, and with cbg I just wouldn't get that option.

I'm going to work on putting it together this weekend, and I have some friends who've thought up some more characters... so hopefully soon I will get to post a host of new entries!

Well here's another entry... took awhile, but i've been busy. I'm hoping to have all the entries up in chronological order on my site, including a list of the current cast. Till then, enjoy!

At first we had thought Randall lost to his grief, for several days he did little but sleep. A few days ago he emerged, with a strong vengeance in his eyes. Since then he has accompanied the men into the forest on every foray, often running scouting missions alone, tracking the beasts much like they do us. Several times he has intercepted an attack, and wounded several of the beasts in the process. Reports from the men have included such ridiculous claims as he sees from their eyes, and that the spirit of his child and wife now bolster his senses. I know not if any of this talk is true, but I know his successes have had a positive effect on the men. They hail him as a hero, one which is needed at this time.

Today is different however, for Randall has not only defended our men from attack, but has gained his first kill in the name of revenge for his family. Just after mid-day I was summoned from my tent to find the whole of the men crowded around Randall. After pushing through the throng I saw a slight smile on the man's face. He nodded to the ground, where I saw the beast (one of many so Randall later told me) that has been causing our entire plight.

It was reptilian, a slight bit bigger then the average man. It maw was large, and filled with dagger-like teeth, easily capable of tearing through the weak leather that most of our men wore. It had four limbs, the front two being quite small, with short, sharp claws at the end of each 3 fingered hand. They were quite diminutive compared to its legs, large and muscular, it was no doubt this beast could run quite fast. The middle toe of each foot held an over sized claw, very large and very dangerous, and looking at some of the wounds my men have taken, most likely its favourite method of dealing damage. It had a large tail, almost as long as it is tall, making it quite the foe indeed.

I spoke to Randall privately late in the day, he has become quite knowledgeable about these beasts. He said that they are not overly intelligent, no more then that of a wolf. They hunt in packs, luring their pray to an easy kill, using numbers and surprise to their advantage. When I asked him of his grief for his family he stated his sorrow is immense, but he believes that they are with him guiding him to help the others. I can only hope that to be true.

The beast Randall has brought to us has confirmed my hopes; we have in fact landed in Northrendale. The similarities between this beast and the Veloraptors in the monk’s writings are uncanny. The biggest difference is the markings found on this beast, most likely because of the difference in habitat. We need to set about a more permanent camp and docks to bring the remainder of our expedition in to continue our search. The black ore must be close, I can feel it!
    ps:disregard mentions ofbthe land by name, they are as of yet just placeholders

Map

Well i completed a quick sketch of the city (with a pen no less), to highlight the progress up till now. The wooden palisade has been completed, and the Aspen is quickly becoming nothing more then a pile of timber. Most of the residents are safe inside the walls, tho a few still prefer to reside on the daisy may, coming ashore during the day and leaving at night.

A quick description of the buildings and such shown on the map... The ship looking thing is the aspen (i believe it needs to be increased in size, but alas, pen cannot be changed), and it is sitting on the beach close to a small ledge where the sand meets more solid soil and erodes away, Its not high by any means, but steep so the only simple way up it is through the worn path into the middle of the camp. Directly to the left of the path is the Lords tent, quite large, but also serving multiple purposes (storing some supplies, a meeting hall, etc...). To either side of the tent are his guards tents, Algrim and Baor, who are rarely actually guarding the man. Scattered about are the survivors tents, small ones generally 1 or 2 person capacity, the larger meant for families, holding up to 4 adults. There is a large section of tented area in the middle of the camp which is the remaining supplies from the Aspen, more supplies from the daisy may are being brought in every day. On the left side of the path by the beach is generally the carpentry area, which has been exclusively fasioning the poles for the palisade. There is one tent that is outside the log wall and that is the tent of Randall, originally for his family, Randall refuses to move, saying that the spirits of his wife and son visit him at that location. Being a main part of the defense of the city, he is usually stationed at the sentry fire outside his tent. There are 4 sentry fires alltogether, each has a view of one side of the city. One is stationed right outside the entrance to the city, 2 on either side, and one more located on the beach. The beach fire is mainly used for communal purposes, the cooking of food, and general passing of time in the early hours of the night.
    The hatched areas along the beach signify the start of the steep incline, while the hatched areas around the city signify the trampled long grass (the grass in this area is about shoulder high... think jurrasic park 2) There are several fairly worn paths to both forests, tho the path to the north has been the only one in use for a fair time.

Life in the city has calmed down since the first kill of the monsters. Generally most of the able men either go out to gather wood during the day, or take the two dingys out for some fishing, since theres plenty decent sized fish to catch in the small bay. Those who stay behind are either processing the timber,cooking meals, or any of the other menial tasks that need doing. Midafternoon things slow down (far before dark) and everyone takes refuge inside the walls of the camp. A small number of guards keep watch while daylight still shines, joined by more as the night falls. People generally gather around the large fire on the beach each night, sharing stories and tales, and enjoying one anothers company.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_001.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	492.7 KB 
ID:	13126  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is really enjoyable to watch develop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks SG.. i guess i should comment that the original orientation of this picture should be like my previous map, so the beach is kind of east south east, so the trail to the north goes over the river and up the ridge to the other patch of forest. That didn't happen since I used the best angle to get everything in on my phone.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast