Thanks Sig, I'll try to work him in, that quote might just work quite well when they are attacked.

I guess I should elaborate on the world somewhat. My world is mainly one large continent, at least thats all thats planned for now. In the couth is a civilized land of Men, almost entirely explored and conquered. Demi human races are rare in the land, there are a few orcs and goblins in the land. Dwarves and Elves are all but non existant in the south, of myth and legend.

The land of man is divided from the north by a very large mountain range, with very few harsh and treaterous passes. Few have ventured forth and returned, the most famous of which is the monk Herringale. Long dead now, Herringale's texts are all that remains of his travels, but he described with pictures and words the varous wonderous creatures, and many precious resources of the north. His quest took him through the mountain pass, which many have attempted to recreate, but many have perished.

With crowding of the land, many of its factions are looking to be the first to claim land on this new territory, and gain a quick monopoly on its resources. While there are works in progress creating safe passage through the mountain ranges, my story will follow the path by sea, as an expedition is thrown into the seas clutches, and eventually lands in the north, where they found one of the first northern settlements, Port Herringate. Taking homage from the monk who was the first to find the place, the Lord saw fit to name his capitol city after him.

This new land is indeed rich with resources, humongous trees and precious minerals. My main influences for this land is the canadian wilderness, so there are many trees and vast plains. winters are harsh and summers are warm. Another big influence i wish to work in is the videogame monsterhunter. in this game you make all you equipment from resources and animals. It relies heavily on hunting prey, and havesting its parts. while i do not wish it to be of the same scale, I do want to see harvesting as a major role.

Elves and dwarves are more common here, but will not appear for a long time. I hope to introduce a race of orcs soon, not innately evil as is the norm, but tribal and fierce, like the norse of old. A tribe of them will come to the cities aid when they are attacked by a number of raptor like dragons. thet provide some much needed guidance on this strange land.

so far thats it.. again c&c more then welcome, i'm flying by the seat of my pants here.

Oh yeah, magic is rare in the south, the enlightened are the only few with the ability to use it. It will be based on an element system, fire, water, earth, air, and a firth, called by many names. life, spirit, magic are all good examples.

all life is energy, and through energy we gain power. channeling your bodies energy will allow you to manipulate it, creating magic. out of life, the energy is released in the 4 elemental forms. so when a body releases it, it must take one such form. the energy works on a give or take basis, therefore life becomes death quite easily.

Not everyone can channel energy innately, and in most cases a persons power is limited... but in the new land new forms of magic use will appear.

phew! that turned into a rant, but came out quite nicely.