Thread: Realistic Conworld -- Edvereen

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Map Realistic Conworld -- Edvereen

Hello Guild,

Edvereen is a continent I've been working on since early September of this year, logging a total of 144 hours. I realize this map isn't very artistic or stunning as some of the other contributions on this site but nonetheless represents a very laborious effort for me. I submitted it because in my opinion, an atlas-style map makes the entire world depicted in the map seem more genuine. I don't know if the map is going to be readable for many of you as I had to downsize the original, whose dimensions were 9,000 by 7,000 pixels. But at any rate, I hope you all enjoy.

Peter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edvereen 50.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	5.82 MB 
ID:	136569

It looks great, and a very interesting bit of world building too. I really like the textured look of the maps. It works beautifully. Well done all round!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I actually prefer this type of map a lot of the time, because like you say, it really adds depth to the world. Nice work.

Impressive work, well done! Such attention to detail with the planet parameters and climate graphs. Something for me to think about with my future maps.

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Thank you ChickPea, Diamond, and MikesMaps for the feedback!

I'm not particularly adept with the worldbuilding, as I've been told by some, but I'm absolutely passionate about specifying the physical parameters of the world. I'm inspired by many of you on this site, especially those of you who love the atlas-style. Don't get me wrong, I like the fantasy-style as well, for I believe it can add some pleasant contrast to your work when juxtaposed next to an atlas-style map. And it gives the impression of antiquity and provides all those Tolkien-inspired connotations that many of you are very familiar with.

One person I have to thank specifically for the success of this world, and for my budding passion for conworlding, is worldbuildingpasta. His blog is so well written and easy to understand that I'm regularly reading it with the intention of helping him add more material, especially with regards to alien atmospheres, a topic I'm also highly interested in. For those of you who may be interested, I'm working on a spreadsheet similar to Nikolai's, but one that specializes in atmospheric chemistry and planetary geology, for those of you who like to add those elements to your conworlds.

I also appreciate worldbuildingpasta's feedback, and for his assistance with technical issues that I encountered using Linux and Autohotkey.

Again, thank you for the feedback and for the "reputation marks."

Peter

Great map & work!

Very complete and therefore immersive. And the map(s) are very clean as well.

A bit late for the party, but I'm quite impressed too. The maps, the graphs, and the details are stunning. I've always been attracted to this atlas-style kind of map, and indeed, for me as well, they convey a deep sense of 'authenticity' or plausibility. Great work !

I'm interested in your process, namely the design of the relief and the implementation of Köppen Climate. Did you use the wonderful tools from the cartographers' guild community, Wilbur for relief, or the Köppen climate guides from Pixie or Azélor ?

All my works are under Creative Commons License (BY-NC-ND)