Thread: km 0

Guild Member

Map km 0

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	km_0.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	136604 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7906.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	136605

km 0 - hand drawn imaginary 1/50,000 scaled map, French style ("type 1922") - ink, water color, oil pastel and colour pencil on paper - 2023

Meditation on the spaces left in blank in modern cartography.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I really love your work ! I don’t know how you achieve such masterpieces, it blows my mind ! I understand it’s a way to meditate for you and it’s just the same for me, when I look at your maps and get lost !
    Thanks for sharing !

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I really love your work ! I don’t know how you achieve such masterpieces, it blows my mind ! I understand it’s a way to meditate for you and it’s just the same for me, when I look at your maps and get lost !
    Thanks for sharing !
    Hey - JO - Thank you for appreciating my work. How do I achieve my maps... don't know, drawing techniques : first draft, rough draft , definitive drawing At the beginning there is generally a dream I had as this is the case for this one. In my dream, I was flying above this city, bird eye overview, the citadel was here, the highways there, the sea...

By meditation, I think I principally mean "(deep) reflexion", "thought about". In this sense, this map is a sort of discurse about blank spaces in modern cartography I would absolutely not be able to express with words.

But it seems it is also some kind of yantra (support for yoga meditation) : a friend of mine who is used to yoga techniques told me the void in the middle of the sheet causes here anxiety and I thought "perfect, her gaze is vacuumed by the blank space and she feels prevented to appreciate all the details around, so this can actually works as a meditation device."

Of course, there is some sort of visual evidence as the blank space (which has the shape of a zero) is just the center of the radio-concentric city where all the lines converge.
    Last edited by Kishkindha; 11-23-2023 at 04:34 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Thanks for your explanations !
    I'm amazed with your drawing skills too : I mean the roads you draw are drawn with a perfectly regular double line. And that requires a level of skill not available to just anyone... It's also part of your talent, and it's admirable.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Thanks for your explanations !
    I'm amazed with your drawing skills too : I mean the roads you draw are drawn with a perfectly regular double line. And that requires a level of skill not available to just anyone... It's also part of your talent, and it's admirable.
    With a magnifier and a ruler, nothing's impossible

I'm in awe of your drawing skills! Wonderful work. And thanks for sharing a pic of the print too. I always love seeing maps in the wild!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I'm in awe of your drawing skills! Wonderful work. And thanks for sharing a pic of the print too. I always love seeing maps in the wild!
    Thank you ChickPea, this is not a print, this is the drawing itself

Lovely and impressive work, once again !

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Lovely and impressive work, once again !
    Thank you